or Connect

Posts by ckmannel

Yep.  Sounds about right.  My two and a half year old infuriates me EVERY SINGLE DAY, and to be fair, I guess I infuriate him everyday too.  Violent outbursts, screaming, fighting every little request, breaking every rule, I know how you feel.  I have been trying to follow the ideas from Positive Discipline and Parenting with Love and Logic.  Heavy emphasis on trying.  Basically when he begins these outbursts, I do my best to disengage.  He can learn that negative...
My kiddos are 16 months apart and OMG what a whirlwind it was and still is (youngest is 14 months now and big brother is 2 1/2)!  Because I still don't have a lot of free time I'll bullet my ideas:   1. babywear, a lot, use multiple methods to relieve pressure.  i had an ellaroo wrap and LOVED it 2. lower expectations, as long as everyone is fed, clothed, and safe, you have done well. 3. along those lines, cut yourself some slack: order out, use a disposable...
I understand what you are going through. It can be frustrating. If it were me, I would tell my daughter that whatever she throws down the stairs goes bye bye. Then when she throws something over, in an upbeat voice have her say "bye-bye" to whatever it was. Don't go get it back for her. Eventually she will figure it out and nothing important to her will go over the baby gate. While going through this I would remove anything breakable or dear to you so that you don't...
we travelled internationally several times with a baby ranging from 3 or 4 months old to over a year. two adults helps, but is not necessary. IMO a baby carrier (I prefer the wrap) is necessaryy. I bet you'll do fine especially since your baby will be so young. He/she will probably just sleep and nurse the whole time and you'll wonder why you were worried. Be sure to get paperwork for passport going in a hurry once baby comes, it takes a while and you'll have to have...
My first instinct is to say that there is nothing to worry about. My daughter has reflux and it's one of those "you'll know it when you see it" things IMO. She spits up the ENTIRE contents of her stomach in a projectile flow, or for no reason at all it will seem like she's chewing on something (she is EBF) and I will know that her stomach contents have come up into her throat. Also, if your child is comfortable nursing while lying down, he probably doesn't have reflux...
We've been here too. I agree with a couple of the previous posters that self-feeding can help. We just got a cheapo shower curtain that we put down under his chair (my DS is 16 mo.). Also we've found offerering dips (like honey, ranch, ketchup, yogurt) makes a few more bites go down the hatch. Like you, I also am not a big fan of running around the house with food for choking reasons as well as sanitation. I just figure he'll eat if he wants and if he's truly hungry,...
I don't know what book you are referring to (but I am now terribly curious). Have you heard of Clark Howard? He has a book called Clark Smart Parents, Clark Smart Kids. I know he has sort of a "salary" concept and he has strategies to teach kids about long-term savings, short-term savings, and reasonable spending. Good luck.
We have been in the same boat, and here is what we've come up with: -Play in the tub with cups and stuff (I know this wastes water, but mommy needs to stay sane) -musical instruments homemade or storebought -play with "new toys" aka trash like cardboard boxes and milk containers (also doubles as musical instruments time) -sing songs, do motions -story time at library or local bookstores -playdates at other people's houses -wander through the mall (only works if you are...
Weight gain = very slow for us here (we went from super fat over 100th percentile a few months ago to 50th percentile now) Words, meh, hard to say. He repeats lots of words in his own way, but I don't know how much he actually retains vs just repeating sounds. That is just our experience
IME, staying with the in-laws without DH is a good way to make a slightly tense situation into a really tense situation, but that is just me.