or Connect

Posts by cloudbutterfly

I had a somewhat similar experience with my DS when he was tiny (for what it's worth, he was also an unusually alert, early communicator with a low sleep need; I'm guessing he'll turn out to be gifted given that I was and my husband probably was, too).  I think he was about two and a half months old when he started refusing to nurse.  I ended up getting mastitis when he went for a particularly long stretch, which then made him want to nurse less, which made me...
Mine will be 2 in a week and a half, and he prefers to at least be naked from the waist down at home.  He'll often let me get a shirt on him, if it meets his aesthetic approval.  He never seems to feel the cold, even when I'm freezing and he's only wearing a hat.  I guess at least he'll always wear a hat!  This started at the same time he seemed to decide to go ahead and start using the potty all the time, and I expect it to continue until he can pull his pants and...
DS drinks his smoothies out of a straw-top Thermos.  We just love it.  Maybe a different type of closed-top cup would be different enough?  We have that OXO training cup with the training lid...I don't think smoothie would fit out the little holes around the edge very well, and DS always demanded that it be taken out.   What about putting a straw in the open cup?  Otherwise, you may need to put in some intensive time sitting with her and teaching her to drink...
You might try the occupational angle.  DS was always practical with hats...he'd keep them on only if they were immediately useful in a way he cared about.  Then at about 16-17 months, I sat him down in front of a mirror and explained that the engineer hat I was holding was what an engineer wears.  He is now famous for his hat wearing.  Mostly engineer hats at all times (he only wears clothes that have trains or engineer stripes on them, though he's starting to branch out...
Here are a few things that have been especially successful for us.  I'm not sure what all would translate to an older toddler, especially if you're going right to the "big potty".  We started potty learning off and on at around 6 months old, so we've had to mostly focus on motivating him to do what he already knows how to do.   - The best thing has been a little table for him to play with his trains on, pulled up right to the potty.  I can put interesting...
  The great thing about the cardboard boxes is that they just go in the recycling when I'm sick of them!  ;)  I wish we had more room to store them...I thought about covering them with wrapping paper (or maybe something with more texture) and making them pretty, but we have a very tight space for all our stuff to fit in.  Stuffing them with newspaper is a great idea, though, if I think of somewhere to store them.  And someone who gets the newspaper, since we don't! Get...
I remembered one other thing.  I can't remember where I got this idea, but it's been fun.  We get a lot of cardboard boxes thanks to doing most of our shopping online, and DS loves to paint or draw on them, or turning them into train cars.  I made an engine shed for him out of a really sturdy white box I had...it looks pretty cool with marker scribbles all over it and he still loves playing with it months later.  We've also collected the boxes and taped them up to make...
If you live near an Ikea, I highly recommend getting one of their easels.  I think ours was $15 for a wooden easel, and it has been a huge inspiration to my 22 month old.   We've been doing a lot of painting with tempera paint for the last month or two.  We started with the Melissa and Doug no-spill paint cups and the paint brushes with big fat rounded ends, but I let him use a big 8-well palette and some brushes of mine in a variety of thicknesses and I don't know...
I think that's about the age when my DS became obsessed with wooden trains.  Or rather, the age when his prior obsession was allowed to develop at home because he got some of his own and wasn't only able to play with them at Barnes and Noble.  They've been really wonderful for him through recent developmental leaps.  When we got him his first set three months ago, I thought maybe he was way too young and wouldn't be able to manage even to move them around on the tracks...
I just went through this!  Google helped a lot on this one.   The issue with the playsand and most other sand you can get at hardware/home improvement stores is the silica particles of respirable size.  It's carcinogenic when inhaled--but from what I can tell, the concern is for workers exposed to it full time in an industrial setting for an extended period of time.  Sand that has been ground from rock from a quarry has a lot more of it than beach sand, from which...