or Connect

Posts by cloudbutterfly

Here are some of my favorite books to read to my son:   Philly Joe Giraffe's Jungle Jazz Haiku Baby by Betsy Snyder Monkey's Super Smoothie by Mike Berry Any of the World Snacks series by Amy Wilson Sanger, especially Hola Jalapeno! and First Book of Sushi Cat by Matthew Van Fleet Bumble's Sweet Surprise The Going to Bed Book, Oh My Oh My Oh Dinosaurs!, Snuggle Puppy and Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton   The text in all of those has enough rhythm and...
I was really anti-jarred food to start--the baby food tasting game starring Earth's Best jars at our shower only made me more so!  All but one were really awful, unrecognizable and bland.  Not what I want my son to learn to like.   However, we've come to really like the Ella's Organic pouches.  They actually taste like the foods they're made of!  Plus, they're super convenient.  I just wish I'd realized the baby food police weren't going to come after me sooner.  ;-)...
My DS started following directions around 8 1/2 months, about the same time he started signing back to us. I was so amazed by it that I've been asking him to do all sorts of things since then--most of them he doesn't do, of course, but I'm still amazed at how many he will do, and there are new ones all the time. Now at 11 1/2 months, the directions he follows are starting to become more "useful". Yesterday we started working on him taking his dirty clothes to a little...
Quote: Originally Posted by alicewyf She runs back to her bedroom to read alone (well, she flips thru her books and pretends to read). If we interrupt her alone time she gets upset (it only lasts about 15 mins). Both mom and dad are introverts and English majors! It must be genetic. She is only 15 months, it is so adorable. I love coming around to the backseat and seeing DS look up from the book he's been "reading" and grin! Now that he has a...
His book OBSESSION. I was an English major, despite my best efforts to get myself to study something that actually can get you a job. He sleeps in late and goes to bed late, and reverts back to this schedule no matter what I do. Both DH and I are night owls by nature. Also, we apparently sleep in the same odd positions, side by side.
Sippies and straws of any kind encourage DS to bite while nursing. We've ended up settling on the OXO Tot cups, which transition from sippy cups with handles to cups with handles and a slow flow insert instead of a lid to regular cups without handles, and just use the inserts. The handles are really well designed, and DS is CRAZY about these cups. DS *can* drink from them properly, but really quite enjoys spilling them into his bowl or lap, so he gets one practice...
I started signing to DS at about that age with More, Milk and Book. He signed back to me the first time (that I realized what he was doing, anyway) at 8 and a half months, an he quickly learned 9 signs...then took a break in learning new ones to learn to cross crawl. Now at 11 months he does at least 25 signs, two thirds of those starting in the past two weeks, and understands many, many more signs that I haven't spotted him doing yet. He babbles in sign, and even signs...
Wicked gets pretty loud and scary at a couple points...I was worried about my DS when we saw it, and he was still in the womb! Having taken him recently to a classical music concert for toddlers, I can see that there's no way DS will be ready for a full length performance of anything, even a kid friendly show, for a very long time, between the excited bouncing in my lap and the "talking" (i.e. shouting happily) to the people on stage, who he naturally assumed were...
My 7 lb. 10 oz. (down to 6 lb. 13 oz. at his low) two week early baby was in newborn size until at least two months old, and swam in them until he was a month old. His 0-3 mo. coming home outfit I brought to the hospital was ridiculously large. I made the mistake of listening when people told me a) you won't need NB clothes and b) he'll grow out of 0-3 mo. clothes in a month. So I had nothing small enough for him when he came early. One thing I wish I'd taken...
We took our son on a week long road trip last month, and the one thing I would have done differently was to bring about three times as many board books to read to him...they kept him happier far longer than any of the toys I brought and I got tired of reading the same ones over and over! I don't know why I was surprised, given how obsessed he is with books, but it was definitely a lesson learned. The best was Cat by Matthew Van Fleet because it was so interactive, plus I...