or Connect

Posts by aravinda

What you have seems good provided the photo album covers relevant topics.    Look at the COMAR regulations - I think they send you a copy of them when you declare your intention to homeschool.  Anyway they can't ask you for a binder full of stuff … just an overview of what you are doing and maybe 3 samples in each area.  I generally write out a summary / bullet points of what we cover each month.  Certainly not a daily schedule.  Refer to...
Hi, glad to meet an unschooler in MD.  We travel a lot but I am part of an unschooling-oriented co-op in Harford County.   I've heard of some other unschooly co-ops in the state like Peacewagers' Co-op and Herbal Co-op (which involves a lot of hiking, afaik) - I havent' joined them and don't know much more than their names but if they are near you you might check them out.    I do review through Maryland and have come up with an approach to the portfolio review after...
I came searching for exactly this topic - has anyone else found the politics in Life of Fred problematic?   We have invested heavily in this series and it is working well for us so far.  dd is working   on the pre-algebra II with economics book right now (right next to me, in fact).    I myself have strong opinions on politics and economics, probably very similar to the OP and quite opposed to that of the Life of Fred author.  Like the OP, I know this will lead to...
Been thinking more about this ... my latest essay        Curriculum is determined not by the external sources (where we are accustomed to looking for it) but by the interaction between the flow of external sources and the actively mediating consciousness of the living learner.     Curriculum is not just that thing that schools or traditional homeschoolers use.  Curriculum is path of thought inherent to everyone who thinks.  Like a river charts a course by...
Hey, This board brings back fond memories because it was here I learned to ec so many years ago.   Just stopping by to say thanks and also share what I have recently put up on my blog on the topic of elimination communication:    I have also mentioned this board on my Diaper-Free Reading List.   There are 2 EC Stories: Tinkle Time on the Little Pink Potty and  Potty Time Creativity. With the benefit of a long term perspective, I found that:      So keep it up Mamas!  And...
is it okay if the blog is not "about" unschooling?   here's one my daughter and I have:  http://khiyaliaravinda.wordpress.com
Drawn by the theoretical angle of this question (practically, I agree with the others who say it doesn't matter what you call it, and it doesn't even matter whether it is unschooling) ...    I think unschooling is something that happens in an unplanned way or on an subconscious level "all the time" or at unexpected and unplanned times.  ... it is not something I can say, today I am going to unschool the way we might say today I am going to make spaghetti.  You can...
  Point taken.    If in retrospect we ask ourselves, of a given thing that we have learned, how did we learn it?  We would often have to trace back to some life experience or the other.  This would be true whether or not we used curriculum or called something curriculum.   One could define curriculum as a map consciously planned in advance.   Then sure, some people do it, some don't, some plan but don't follow, etc.   But if we acknowledge that our minds are taking routes...
Good point Cynthia Mosher.  Would love to discuss these ideas with folks on Mothering Community.  Here is my post:   What curriculum are you using?   The question of curriculum often gives rise to unnecessary confusion, perhaps because those often called upon the answer the question, rarely have a direct answer like “CBSE,” or “Waldorf,” or “Khan.”  It ends up as “We are a little Waldorfy” or “We mix and match,” or “Life is our curriculum” or “Why put knowledge...
Hi folks  -  wanted to share a blog post I put up   What Curriculum are you Using?  http://jivanshala.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/what-curriculum/   would appreciate your comments :-)   Aravinda