or Connect

Posts by aspenleaves

The 4 year old classroom at TCS still has several open spots this fall (2009).... it is utterly ubserd that there is open space, usually ther is a waiting list a year in advance.... I guess the economy is creating this void... just posting because this is such an awesome opportunity if anyone is looking for high quality preschool... play based.
My 5 year old dd and I are getting into some really elaborate pretend play and I am having a terrible time transitioning her out of it when I have to get busy with other things. Does anyone have any ideas how to do it? We usually end up in a huge power struggle and its a mess... I want to play with her like this, but it is becoming sooo difficult.
I know exactly how you feel. My mother is a huge smoker and has been most of her life. You probably don't want to hear this, but you should just stop all the fussing and just deal with it. I only say this because all of your begging and stressing just makes things worse for everyone.... right? Can you love your mom for who she is? Can you accept the fact that she smokes? I only say this becasue I know all about it... and I used to smoke too. No one, or nothing will...
Lots of good advice here.... I would, without question make a shelf for your DD so she can access food if she needs too. My DD is super picky right now too. I can drive myself crazy preparing good healthy food just to have her reject it and then eat some 'crap' that is around. And I can't even save it and eat becasue I have food allergies.... And I can't throw all the undesirable food out because I am not the only adult who shops and lives here... anyway. I...
Hey thanks for your reply.... it helps to read all these posts too as so much of it can give insight into this journey... thanks again
Great topic. Anger... I have anger and I have only 1 dd who is 5. I have been struggling so much with my anger lately that a few things have come up and they do help in the moment. 1. I give myself a time out just before explosion point. When I am in my room I beat the pillow, scream into the mattress and cry if I must. Then I open my door sit on the floor, close my eyes and start to hum a kind of meditation hum.... my dd comes to me and we reconnect and talk it...
So my main issue here is that we are going through a rough phase (both my 5 year old dd and myself) and I cannot handle it! She has always been a hitter which throughout our last 4 years together we have worked on and she finally stopped hitting me at like 3.5 years old. A combo of reasoning, bringing her to her room and consistency finally prevailed. Now I am in my 3rdish month of being attacked both verbally and physically. I have tried the reasoning and...
IT sounds like you are getting some great advice. From reading your post the first thing that comes to mind for me is it sounds like you think that if you put all of these certain ingredients together that you will get a certain outcome? I found myself thinking this along the way. The truth is you choose your parenting AP style for you, not for your children. I know that sounds backward, and of coarse your children benefit from your conscious parenting choices but you...
Awe, thanks so much for posting this. It really changes the way I view some things.
I am also right there with you. My DD is almost 5. I haven't had this hard a time parenting in a couple of years. Things just seemed to hit the fan a few weeks ago.... the thing that bothers me the most is how incredibly mean she is... and I don't like her. I know in the summer her sleep time goes down to a mere 10 hours a night which is not enough, but I can't get her to sleep more than that. She has always been a 'good' sleeper, so I don't know what is up with that...