or Connect

Posts by ~mama jewel~

My littlest (4 yo) (high anxiety (w/BHS), separation anxiety, OCD, SPD) has been with EI since 2 mos old. Last yr, he transitioned through ECSE as a 3 yo. He was there 2x/wk at 2 hrs & 45 min or I should say, *we* attended. Their goal was to get it so that he could attend independently. I did everything they asked & beyond to help my son. The teacher & one of the assistants were fantastic. However, our relationship with our Behaviorist has slowly been deteriorating...
I'm very frustrated right now & needing some guidance. Basically, my son w/SN (ADHD/LD/SPD) is requiring vision therapy. The cost is very high and not something we can afford. Because we adopted our son from the state, we have state insurance for him. When I asked the eye care place if insurance covers it, they said that typically no & that we are to pay & can hash it out with the ins company. So I called the ins co & they said (politely) that they can't talk with us,...
I'm looking for anyone who can tell me if they've had personal experience using neurofeedback. I'm dealing with panic attacks & having a really tough time. I would like to see a counselor who specializes in this & if it goes well for me, I'm hoping to have 2 of my children who have ADHD go to see him along with my son who has severe anxiety/OCD. So any information you have in neurofeedback & its effectiveness with panic attacks, ADHD, anxiety, OCD & Tourettes would be...
Henny Penny, truly I'm not stalking you (lol) (u helped me so much in the "anxiety thread." I could've penned that last post of yours... This SN boards has been my saving grace so many times!! I'm tired of being judged & tired of seeing cookie-cutter families look at us askew cuz of all my kids' SN... It's been a hard day today, but, like a pp said, there's a new fresh day tomorrow, so I'm hoping it'll be better. As for sleep issues, my youngest 3 yo ds (high...
HennyPenny --Thank you *so* much for sharing not only your personal experience, but your specific recommendations!! I almost cried reading it, because, I know I've been dealing with panic attacks & I think it's related to so much stress (esp w/my ds' anxiety) & lack of sleep, that my body is having trouble managing it all. I can't stand nighttime, as I feel all alone & panic attacks seem to come out & I feel so trapped/scared that I can't breathe. Yes, I agree that...
Hi! I have an Etsy business & would like to tie in a non-profit with it. Currently, I donate a portion of my proceeds to charities. But, I'm feeling a big desire to just start my own non-profit since I've got to keep records anyhow. Has anyone done this? If so, any roads you can lead me on? Specifically, helpful websites, books & BTDT stories. Do I *need* a lawyer? I'm a sole proprietor. Thanks for any info you can share!
subbing to this thread --thanks for starting it. I have 4 children (3 w/SN). My youngest (almost 4) has high anxiety since birth (we adopted him; had meth background, so don't know if that helped contribute along w/genes.. don't have enuf info). He stops breathing when stressed and/or injured. We've been with EI & now EC/SE since the beginning. Work mostly w/a behaviorist & a little with an OT. Also see a naturopath (as I've been frustrated w/mainstream pediatricians...
One of my sons has the same problem. We've also used ear plugs (that fit inside the ear) for public places, having him wear a hood --even tho that does *not* cut the noise, he feels like he can tuck into his own space, so mentally that helps him. Same with using a thick fleece blanket or a bigger stuffed animal --those have provided comfort for him to tuck his head into and feel comfort. HTH
We had almost the identical exp w/the closest thing we could get to a dev pediatrician --so I *completely* understand your frustration. We wanted to have this doc on board as part of the "team" w/our naturopath (which he doesn't "believe" in alt care, etc). I ranted for a few days over his "approach" & his lack of diagnostic ability and discounting any mom knowledge/research --ack! Anyway, could you take your 3 yo to EI to get evaluated for their Early Childhood/Sp Ed...
I have a 7 yo son with ADHD (& SPD, LD) & a 11 yo daughther with ADHD (& LD & Tourette's) & like a pp said, ADHD manifests itself differently in girls than in boys. Here's a DSM criteria list that may help here: http://add.about.com/od/evaluationan...smcriteria.htm Getting your dd assessed is a great first step. Going thru your pediatrician will basically serve as a stepping stone for a referral (either for assessment thru your school psych/panel and/or privately (with...