or Connect

Posts by alacrity

My daughter will be five this week and she is experiencing some social anxiety. When she meets people she freezes up and will not speak most of the time. She expresses frustration afterward when we speak about it alone often saying she wanted to but couldn't. She is fine with kids her own age after a brief bout of shyness she will always run off and play but with adults it takes much longer. She has become close to other adults in the past but it takes a while and we...
I recently moved to Williamsburg, VA, with my five year old and husband for his job and cannot seem to meet any other secular homeschoolers with young children or just other families with kids near her age at all who are okay with us not being religious and conservative. My daughter and I are feeling very isolated here without a car and no circle of friends.  I would love to connect with other gentle parents in the area who are secular. I did not think it would be this...
Family Grounds is the one I am avoiding because you have to pay per child!! Here we have a couple coffee shops with couches near kid stuff and you only pay for your food and drink. I am  looking for a place like that. I wonder if maybe it just does not exist.   The  food truck think is blowing my mind! Also, I have  heard only amazing things about Handlebar. So we may have to add it to the agenda. :)
Oh darn.  We missed out on Soul Veg last time. I had no idea they were close to MSI! Soul Veg used to be Eternity Vegetarian Deli here in Saint Louis.  We miss them oodles.   We're taking the train. I do not drive and  we recently found out how incredible Amtrak is for traveling with kids.   Oh! Anyone know of a kid-friendly coffee shop? Somewhere to just hang out where they can play? Besides that place that charges per kid. I can supervise my own. haha  
We went to MSI & Shedd last time. The kids loved both. My 2 year old loves the planetarium here so I hope she will like Adler. We were planning on it because really I want to see the lake from there. We can't afford Shedd again but do have  a science center pass that gets us into MSI, field museum, and  a couple others.   I am glad to find out the children's museum may not be worth our time. We would get in free but I don't want to bother if it will not be all that...
I will be in Chicago this weekend and would love to find something fun to do on Valentine's Day with my 2 year old and her 9  year old friend who's joining us. Any suggestions for  Valentine's themed fun?   Or any fun things going on this weekend? It looks like we're planning on Art Institute, Adler Planetarium, Chicago Diner, and a Chinese New Year festival at Crystal Gardens.   We're considering the Children's Museum on Navy Pier on Valentine's  Day  but I...
I go to Dr. Larry on Old Ballas Road. He blamed my daughter's tooth decay on night nursing. :( We have no choice though since he seems to be the only dentist who accepts medicaid and takes children before they turn three. So avoid him...
We are taking a train out of Saint Louis Friday at 4 am. We were supposed to ride with a friend but her car broke down and now we have no ride to the train. The buses do not run that early in the morning so bus is not an option. It looks like I have no choice but to take a cab but I have a two year old and do not want her to ride in a car without a car seat. Has anyone had luck with a cab company providing a car seat? I have tried in the past and once they showed up...
I have been wondering this too. We may go in January or February if we can work it out.
I am in South City near Tower Grove Park. I have a 2 year old daughter and I babysit several preschoolers in my home. I usually attend any play dates in the city that we can get to but rarely leave the city since we use the bus and Metrolink for transportation.