or Connect

Posts by Keeping up

I am a FT working mom of four little ones (6 yrs, 4 yrs, 2 yrs and 1) so I understand. I am out of the house at 7:15 and home at 6:30pm - long long days. My husband works out of town every other week - so solo night-parent a fair bit. All I can say is it isn't easy. I have help - a cleaning lady once a week (who cleans, changes beds and does some laundry) and a full time nanny that helps with keeping the kiddos rooms neat & tidy, and a little bit of laundry and...
Just lurking ... but with my fourth, we found out at the 11 week NT scan. The tech said she had never been wrong predicting a boy (I guess girls can be harder) when the picture was that clear. I had the same tech at 20 weeks (and it was a boy again) ... and he was born boy. So not reliable, but if the baby is co-operating, 15 weeks should be a possibility.
I am pretty mainstream (the informed mainstream type) ... so chose school because it is what 'you do' I would say. I can't imagine homeschooling - especially since I have chosen to WOH, so at that rate, school become a default. I also have a career that requires a pretty mainstream personality - work in a big office tower in the financial sector. so think that a common upbringing will likely have my kiddos follow perhaps in a similar lifestyle choice (which I think...
I am a mom of four little ones - the first three went to a daycare with a very similar routine and similar log-book. I am very guilty about never reading the logbook. I work on the macro level (for many many many aspects of my life). I asked the last shift who would have been there since 10am or so how the day was - the first few hours (we started before 8am) weren't that relevant. I was also lucky to be able to stop by whenever I wanted - not that I did every day,...
Just because this has hit us here - and we have only been back at school for four days. Is it possible the other boys are bullying him - and thus, he is acting out at home (in particular towards his little brother). [In our case, my dd is being bullied by some older kiddos. I know the kids - and I am convinced they are bullying my very quiet, very small little girl - also grade 1 - because they are being bullied.] Just a thought.
My kids starting chewing gum (and swallowing - despite our best efforts of 'turning' green if they did) when they were 2 years old. I am not at all worried about the chocking hazard - the gum we chew (i.e. dentyne etc.) is such a small piece. Bubblegum pieces I guess might be a bigger concern. The little ones only got 1/2 a piece when they were really little. Never ever had an issue with gagging/chocking with any food - but we might have big throats! However, I...
I love autumn too - the sweaters, the food, the leaves - love it all, except that it is followed by winter (which I hate!) Wombat - didn't make it to Dinosaur BBQ - the drive to Syracuse was very long due to traffic issues in Toronto so the ' 4hour drive' took us 6pm. We did Arby's (yuck, btw) somewhere along the 95. On the way home, we just went to the restaurant nearby the hotel. Maine was awesome - the kiddos did really well at the ocean. I will be driving...
At my school, it is specifically in the PTA manual - kids are encouraged to go home for lunch where possible. Obviouly, not every kid does go home but it is encourage. It is a K-8 public school. The reasons are different - union issues, supervision issues in the playground etc. My dd will come home almost every day until she is comfortable staying. I don't see why going home to help her stay healthy would get any flack from the school nurse? That is ridiculous.
I wouldn't worry about it all ... and you never know, it might be predominantly not-so-boy boys. I have a JK boy (so 4.5 years) starting school next week and he is a very quiet, very studious (loves phonics, loves to sit down to read books). He does love cars, and blocks and water play. You won't find him in the doll section - but neither would my girlie-girl be in the doll section - she liked drawing more. To think about it - it might be a HUGE advantage. Not...
I haven't heard of parent's actively trying to hold back their kiddos - but 'redshirting' is become more common in certain neighbourhoods (holding kiddos back a year). Our cut-off is December 31. I have a Jan. 5 baby (a boy) and was overjoyed he was born on the 5th instead of 6 days earlier. I think he will do well with the extra year to grow up more (OK - he is only 2 now so no real idea how he will do, but I am still happy to be the eldest in the class, instead of...