or Connect

Posts by Keeping up

The heat will pass soon (I am Cdn so we are just about there) - but I found parks that had great shade cover (well established old neighbourhoods so big trees in the parks) - how about the mall and IKEA (nothing like IKEA in the middle of winter. I just accepted it takes forever to get anywhere, you will almost always be late but everyone gives you a lot of slack. My last three would have been a nb, 17 months and 3yrs 3 months so I understand the age gaps. (The...
I just threw out my plastic golf clubs - but not because they are plastic (I am not a worrier of plastic - to each their own) but because they are WEAPONS. Now, granted I have four little ones (my eldest is 6, and the babe is just one) so having those in the repetoire means a trip to the ER for certainty. (It is a founded worry - a fellow father at the golf club, my dh is also an obsessive golfer, had an incident - a five year old wacked the 3 year old, an...
MOre so than 'themed' birthday parties - I don't get big bashes for toddlers, seems overwhelming and not really fun for the kiddo. We did a Cars cake when ds#1 was 3 (he loved cars) but otherwise - I make simple cakes and have simple parties with a few family members (small families as my parents don't live close and dh's parents have both passed away). I have refused to do big parties for my older ones - $400-$500 for a party is insane. They still have friends.
Yikes - I see these comments and just wonder who are these doctors! I love my ped - and would listen to her for parenting advice - a working mom of two young kiddos is right up my alley. Other peds in the practice are also working moms - and have put some residents in their place when they challenged me how I knew my kid had a temperature if I didn't own a thermometre - go figure! I guess I am lucky I have a good ped. Now - I just wish I had a good gp.
Is the flight direct? Is it overnight or during the day? To be honest - don't think it makes a world of difference if you have bought at least one seat. If you are buying two seats, easey peasey - really. You won't get any rest but you wouldn't at home either - invest in a few new small toys for the 18 month old (or 2 year old) and just go for it. I have flown with three little ones (at the time 5, 3 and 2 months ... I left the then 18 month old at home - flying...
My kiddos sleep at daycare so haven't had the issue - but certainly understand the need to de-compress in the evenings (I have four little ones.) What time is he getting up? My little ones get up at 6:15-6:30 (or if we are lucky 7am) having gone to bed at 8:30pm. My 2 year old (Jan 06) will have slept for 2 hours during the day. My elder pair have dropped their naps but still rest most afternoons on their beds. (I have a nanny and the 2 year old is 2 days at...
My kiddos gave them up at different times - the longest was 2.5 years or thereabouts. I finally offered chocolate milk in a sippy/cup or milk in a bottle. My 2 year old was done with all bottles by 14 months beause I think he saw the big ones with cups/sippys. I just had the rule only milk in bottles - water or juice (if they ever had it while still with bottles - I don't like juice) wouldn't ever go in a bottle, that was for sippies.
We love that movie - Hogarth (the boy) is wonderful. We still talking about what is made of iron! My dd watched it pretty young (like 4ish - without an issue) - my 4 year old boy won't watch it - too scary. Great movie - and one of my favourites.
Quote: Originally Posted by veganf The legal minimum age for a child to be in the top bunk in the U.S. is age 6, so we will be putting up a bunkbed this fall and I am also wondering how to keep the other boys out of it. NOT having bunkbeds is not going to be an option unfortunately as we are very tight on space. Is it really the law - or a suggestion of the manufacturer? ... a long the same lines as 'Beverage is hot' on coffee cups. I know...
Can't answer all your questions but ... - not sure Grade 1 with peers who are coming from 1/2 day will make much of a difference. My girl is coming from 1/2 day kindie to Grade 1 (May '02 kiddo) and I expect not a blip from her performance in school. - My child is also reading at a grade 2 level (not to discount - but that isn't anything spectacular or extraordinary - grade 1 at grade 4/5 that wold be spectacular) and she only started reading in mid K (preschool...