or Connect

Posts by Keeping up

Have been wondering about all this ... and decided 'normal' is pretty darn broad. My dd (child #1) was reading simple bob books at the beginning of K (last September - Senior K here). She was also a pretty good speller - if she could read the word, she could spell & print the word. At end of K (she starts Grade 1 in Sept.), she can read Nate the Great type books. My ds1 (child #2) will start Junior K in September (Feb '04 babe) and he read his first bob books to...
I have my almost 14 month old in a RF Radian but the recline is likely close to the infant recline of 45 degress. How do I lessen the recline. When he is awake he is straining to sit up (a contrained sit-up type position) - and so I think he would appreciate being more upright. However, we have a huge car ride coming up (10.5 hours according to mapquest - so with four kiddos, much much longer) - so am thinking that a more reclined seat would be more comfy for...
Similar but a bit different Toronto - I was told $525-$625/week (net) for an experienced nanny that drives, live-out - i.e. you pay the taxes on top so 18-20% more - I think that works out to be about $14 NET/hour (again - add the taxes). Hours would be 7:30-5:30 (or similar). You can also pay a lot more depending on the nanny's resume!
I am back at work just as well - and am feeling overwhelmed. I sometimes think of some of the nannies in the playground (philipino - left their families behind to make a better living - for 6-9 months at a time), or the thai woman on a cruise we took (same thing), or the student from China who left her husband and 5 year old in China to get an education in Canada - and it helps, aren't I privileged that I am at home with my kiddos each night. I actually feel much...
I just hired my first nanny (and yes she has a name but I don't need to share it here) ... and I promised myself and I promised her (really I did - we discuss it a fair bit), that I wouldn't micromanage. I don't leave lists (unless urgent/healthcare/daily camp schedule etc related), I have no real restrictions because well she should (and does) know better, I told her outright I had no food restrictions (but to please try to push veggies and fruit over crap ... which I...
I have two frontiers and have installed, and uninstalled them several times. I couldn't get a good latch install (but never did try with the seat reclined) - but that didn't matter since I was just trying to install it (the two kiddos using the seats are more than 40lbs, and I have a Toyota who defers to the manufacturer .... so 40lbs.) However - I got rock solid installs with the long belt method - which sounds complicated but is really easy peasey when you think...
Not that I have any real vote here since I don't visit that often - but please please please, let us stay babies for a bit longer. I am not ready to have a toddler be my youngest (and last!!!) Can we wait until September? All is well here - need to scroll back to see a few more of the what is happening around here. I went back to work, my husband is working most weeks in another city (so away for the week), my nanny is awesome, I move on Thursday, the renovated...
I am no carseat tech - but have spent enough time on carseat boards to have learned ... the first sticker refers - that it is only safe to keep kiddos under 20lbs. rear facing (i.e. under 20lbs = rear facing) while the second sticker infers the seat can be used to 30lbs. rear facing (i.e. over 20lbs. can be used rear facing up to 30lbs. but can be used fwd facing from 20lbs.) Make sense - they should really change the lingo as it is very confusing. I am Cdn so can't...
A bit of an odd question I stopped nursing about a week ago (went back to work, a lot of other stuff going on, don't really like it, really hate pumping, I have weight/energy issues blah blah blah) - I am not at all missing the nursing. One breast, though, is having a hard time with the decrease in demand - and is enormous - think post-partum lumpy breast. I went from nursing full time to twice a day, to once a day, to once every few days over the past almost three...
1. Breastfeeding is tremendously challenging for some and requires every fibre of commitment to keep it going. 2. Compared to breastfeeding (again for some ... i.e. me), natural child birth is a breeze - it is only painful for a few hours. 3. If you are going back to work, think about waitlisting your kiddo on daycare lists ... if you are at pre-natal class, and haven't done it yet - you are already way too late to get your little one in a good daycare (at least in...