or Connect

Posts by vaw

Quote: Originally Posted by Naomi for instance, Molly exhausted the school's spelling curriculum used in grades 1-3. I suggested that I find a big list of vocabulary used for SAT review, and that the teacher just have Molly choose the appropriate number of words each week from this list. This is working fine.) 3. The school offers a math enrichment program for the GT kids (they do Hands on Equations to learn algebra) and they let Molly start it in 2nd...
Quote: Originally Posted by RiverTam I don't have the slightest idea what to tell you. My kids go to a Montessori school, but it's not this rigid. The kids are not limited in their choice of subjects, at all, ever, and the only limits on their ability to choose materials is that someone has to show the kids how to use them first. Drake skipped straight into the materials that he was ready for. They pulled him back every once in a while to show them...
And an additional question How would a Montessori teacher evaluate/assess a child to know where to start them at - what the child's ability level is. It would be great if there was a way to 'test' him out of lessons
And a following reply from me Thanks for all the input. I really feel that the school is not following 'true' montessori in many ways. I guess the question I need to answer right now is whether the class is a better situation than the regular classroom. I have been talking to the principal about the best setting for my son to be fully challenged and stimulated. Sadly his answer is the Montessori classroom. I have a meeting scheduled with the teacher and principal to...
I posted this over on the gifted parenting board, but would love to have all of your opinions as well. ________________ Please explain to me how your child succeeds in the Montessori classroom. My son is not happy in his montessori class. He is miserable, I am miserable, and I am now making the teacher and principal miserable. Help! My son is in his 2nd year of Lower Elementary. The school recommended putting him in Montessori to allow him to work at his...
Thanks for all the input. I really feel that the school is not following 'true' montessori in many ways. I guess the question I need to answer right now is whether the class is a better situation than the regular classroom. I have been talking to the principal about the best setting for my son to be fully challenged and stimulated. Sadly his answer is the Montessori classroom. I have a meeting scheduled with the teacher and principal to address my concerns, but I...
Please explain to me how your child succeeds in the Montessori classroom. My son is not happy in his montessori class. He is miserable, I am miserable, and I am now making the teacher and principal miserable. Help! My son is in his 2nd year of Lower Elementary. The school recommended putting him in Montessori to allow him to work at his advanced level. I have yet to see it happen. He doesn't want to attend school because "I don't learn anything there mommy" I...
That sounds exactly like the mornings at my house . . . Before my son was diagnosed with sleep apnea and got his cpap machine. If you think your child is getting enough sleep and still isn't functioning I would suggest talking to your pediatrician.
My son is 7 yrs old and as of IQ testing at 5 he is highly gifted and is currently scoring 99%tile on state tests.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think you have made them before at my last cry for help, lol. I haven't been able to locate the Mad Scientist Club books affordably. Our library system doest not have them. I might have suck it up and pay it. George's Secret Key . . . We got that from the library and he felt it was too long to read, but the last scholastic flier, he asked to get it, so he might be willing to brave the book. He prefers shorter books that can be read...