or Connect

Posts by lizabird

mamato3wildponies -- I think actual letters in the mail would be what would work well for us.  We really try to limit computer time, and having ds read and write his own letters would be best for us, but maybe there's someone else out there reading this who might like an online penpal and could contact you?   edwardsmom -- thanks, PM'd you back.  :)    
I have many conversations with my 7 yr old about not wanting to work.  He would happily spend most days playing with legos.  He'll happily do any type of science experiment I set up, or real-life math type scenereo I prepare for him to do, but he would never just sit down and do schoolwork.   So when I'm feeling organized, we'll have some projects to do in the morning, read some books or magazines together, and then we can go out to the park, museum, play with friends,...
My ds is 7.5 and would love to have a penpal.  We unschool, he isn't too interested in learning to read and write so his reading and writing skills are not that great, but I think if he had someone he could send letters back and forth with, it would make it that much more fun.  He loves Star Wars and Lego, wildlife/nature, and playing with friends.  Anyone out there with a similar age kid who wants a penpal?  Feel free to send me a PM :)   Or, are there any safe...
The types of letters my ds has written recently go something like this.   Hi _____, Who is your favorite Star Wars person?  I like Luke Skywalker best.   and maybe he'll include a small drawing of R2-D2 and then write his name at the end.     I don't expect him to write an amazing letter, I just want him to have an experience where reading and writing is fun, and he runs out to greet the mailman every chance he gets, so it's always exciting for him to get a...
I have used both whey and just plaln sea salt.  I guess I haven't noticed that one gets slimier than the other.  I have had more "bad" batches with the whey, but mostly as long as I follow the directions and especially keep the liquid level above the level of the veggies, they turn out okay.  I haven't had a problem with slimy, but I refrigerate all of mine after 2-3 days.  They ferment quicker in warm weather, and it has been rather warm where I am.  I do notice that...
I have been experimenting a lot lately with lacto-fermentation, and it's definitely a learning process.  I have had batches that turned out perfectly, and others that went bad.  The bad ones I knew without a doubt they were bad.  They smelled horrible!  There have been a few that went "tingly" - I think this is just a little more sour than "perfect", and it's not bad, just different.  My dh doesn't notice it, but I do.  I haven't yet had anything turn slimy, but I have...
Both my kids just finished the intro diet (kids are 4 and 7) and I wouldn't be surprised if my 4 yo lost a little weight.  He has always been pretty skinny and he tells me he doesn't like any of the huge variety of foods I put in front of him.  He does love the dairy (yogurt and cheese) and coconut and avocado, and we leave a bottle of olive oil on the table to drizzle on things.  One of our favorite GAPS breakfasts is eggs with pancakes made from approx 1/4 c cooked...
Yes, he has grandparents and aunts who write on occasion, but I think he would love another kid his own age (he can't read grandparents or aunts writing, for one).  He has been begging to write a letter to his younger brother's imaginary friend.  We have several local friends, but the correspondence via mail gets slowed down by the fact that they see each other regularly, and then don't really feel the need to communicate in writing.  I remember having a penpal as a kid,...
My son is 7 and not too interested in writing/reading.  BUT, he loves to get mail.  I am really sorry if this isn't an appropriate post for this forum, but I was wondering if there might be any others out there who maybe want to connect their kids with an AP homeschooling penpal?   I think he would love to have a penpal, girl or boy, about age 7, interested sending and receiving short letters.  My ds is currently obsessed with LEGO and anything Star Wars.  He would...
I would love to find fresh eggs for under $2/doz. I have found a lady close to me selling them for $2/doz, but if I go to my local farmer's market they're more like $5.50/doz. Yikes, we eat a lot of eggs and that really adds up.