or Connect

Posts by MustBeJelly

Social construct or not, the fact is that race plays a pretty big part in basically all cultures. It has a measurable impact on how human beings relate to one another. Sure, it's easy to say, when you're part of the dominant paradigm, 'just pretend it doesn't exist! that's the way to stick it to the man!' but it's harder to put that into practice, when you get pulled over because you're in a nice car in the wrong neighborhood too late at night, or when the lady in the...
http://www.edchange.org/multicultura...eb/racism.html Quote: As the dawn of the 21st century nears, racism‹the most important and persistent social problem in America and in the world today‹is on the rise in increasing ways. Whether we are talking about ethnic cleansings, group hatred or retraction of equity laws under the guise that these are unfair, the underlying issue is the same. One group, threatened by the perceived loss of power, exercises social,...
Maybe she doesn't chemically relax it, but she still wears it straight, to conform to the Eurocentric standards of beauty, and tangentially, achievement. I think it's whack, personally. She didn't always wear it straight, she used to be happy to be nappy, but now, even if she wanted to go back, I don't think she could, at least, not without creating the public outcry of the century. Even if she went for braids, instead of the more 'counter culture' (and please read all...
But to the pertinant point...NO that is not racism. Racism is academically defined as power plus predjudice. And, while some individual folks of Color might have the power, systemically speaking, we're still at a disadvantage, economically, academically, and so on. So to that end, there is no such thing as 'reverse-racism'. I can link you to some books that you might be interested in, if you want to learn more about it. That being said, you can certainly find...
Really? I had NO IDEA that bi-racial people changed colors! Huh. I wonder how I never noticed that, when my dad is black, and my mom is white. No, I wasn't questioning your intelligence. I was saying that your comment belittled your argument even further.
And to that end, can we even imagine the outrage, if, say, Michelle Obama decided to stop relaxing her hair, and went natural? I mean, people are already up in arms (get it?) because her official White House portrait is her in a tank dress. I saw a photo of her earlier in Feb. and her kitchen was starting to look a little napped, and i thought, maybe? Could it be? But then the very next picture had her hair straight as could be. So, yeah. I agree that the first...
Quote: Originally Posted by Missy Generally speaking, when white parents want a child with blonde hair and blue eyes, it has nothing to do with an easier life and everything to do with their own definition of beauty that, yes, has been created by society. So, yes, I do tend to get, if not angry, at least mildly disgusted at anyone who chooses to perpetuate that definition. :
Is your baby's father African? Or African-American? If he's African American, are you also going to buy the baby a kilt, if your heritage is Scottish? Or a léine if you're Irish? Or do you just feel the need to rock African clothing cuz he's part black? Do you know which part of Africa? The Xhosi wear entirely different garb than the Ibo, for example.
Quote: Originally Posted by VanessaS What I said was not that "all white people look alike", which would be ridiculous, but that the people in my DH's home town all look alike. And they do. Even my white relatives who are not from that town (and who come from a more diverse place nearby) have commented on it. I know it's hard for you to believe but there are places where the people have been living in relative isolation and marrying each other generation...
Quote: Originally Posted by WilliamsMama I haven't experienced having to choose a box yet. I was always under the impression that these things were optional. My grad school kept sending me notes asking me to fill in this information but I refused. I am black and asian, and they only told me to choose one. William is black, asian, and white. Why do we have to choose? As an aside, I think it's a little hypocritical to moan about how unfair AA is but...