or Connect

Posts by tofumama

Hi all... We are a homeschooling desperately-wanting-to-be-unschooling family. I have 3 kiddos 6.5, 5, and 3. My question for you all is can you direct me to something that will tell me exactly what constitutes unschooling? I have read the Sudbury Valley stuff and that is what turned me on to unschooling in the first place. I am slightly ocd (um, did I say slightly?)and the idea of unschooling seems fantastic to me but 'allowing' it is another thing entirely. We are...
Gee, I remember when I was a kid and we didn't even use car seats! I don't even think we used seatbelts... When were the 'shield' seats banned? That is all I have and all I have ever used with my kids. They aren't 5pt. seats either. I tried to get my seats checked by the police at the safety fair last year but the line was horrendous. I gess I should have waited as they gave out new seats to anyone whose seats were not up to snuff. What about those seat belt...
Over the head meaning the kind with the plastic part that usually buckles between their legs. I guess I am lucky that my kids are really well behaved in the car...no wigglers here I have my 6.5yo son and just-about 5yo dd both in boosters so the seatbelt falls on them better. We have a built in carseat with the 5 point harnes straps but I think it said 30lb minimum which is why I don't use it with my peanut.
Just out of curiosity...what are you all putting your kids in? My dd is just shy of 5 and 35ish pounds and is in what I am assuming you all are calling a booster seat. She has been in it since she was 4ish. (don't remmeber when exactly wwe switched her) Are your kids in 'regular' over the head carseats? My dd would not fit in one! I guess I just cant picture it.
I think it depends on the size of the kiddo. My 3yo ds is still in a regular carseat but his siblings were in conversion and/or boosters by the time they were 3.5 depending on what car we were in. My youngest is a runt though so its not a matter of how well he can sit, its a matter of how safe he would be with a seatbelt/booster. IMO he is too tiny to be protected by a seatbelt. 40+ pounds and inches? to me would be ok with one of those conversion seats. My 3yo is only 26lbs.
I had my dd's ears pierced when she was a month old. I went to a professional piercer who was recommended to me as he did alot of ear piercing in children and was very good. My friend who is from the Philipenes had her dd's done at i1mo old..not sure if it is customary or not there. I regret it big time. She did not cry from the piercing, but she was none too pleased at having her head held. I had Rescue Remedy on hand and Arnica...did that help? Don't know. She...
We went camping at a music festival when ds1 was about 1 month old. We had a blast. I think my dd's first camping trip was when she was 3mo old? So I had a 2yo and a 3 mo old. Just call me crazy!
Hippy Wedding here My dress was $10 from a thrift store...I dyed it purple. Dh wore a purple shirt and white pants and sandals. Rings were made by a local artisan and were $100 each? Dh gave me his grandmother's ring as an engagement ring (I don't wear it now though)I didn't have a wedding party, but instead incorporated the 'bridesmaids' and 'groomsmen' into the wedding itself. Gals did readings, and the guys sang. We had a pot luck, got an organic cake from Whole...
ds 2 refers to the wood stove as the 'fire stove' and pot holders as 'pan warmers' We call parmesan cheese 'sprinkle cheese', and all dressings, etc are 'dip'. ds 2 uses alot of his own words. 'scrinkly' is one of them, meaning anything that isn't straight. Instead of today, he will say 'this day morning' ...??? These are so funny My brother and I used our own language too...we would say huck as in, to throw something at a high rate of speed. I still use...
Ugh. I could not read and not post. I have 3 kids ALL who were testing as sensitive to things. I had a list of probably 25-30 foods they could not eat and not all things were the same for each kid. I had to keep a chart on the fridge just to keep track! Then, come to find out *I* had many of the same allergies...oy. We were tested by a naturopath. I ended up going on *that* site AND paying for it only to be 'ignored' as my kids hadn't been to a REAL allergist and didn't...