or Connect

Posts by JaniceT

Many, many thanks for your feedback, and book suggestions! They help enormously. Since I first posted, I've had several conversations with dd about the cat club incident, and also about her birthday party that was just this past weekend. About the latter, she seemed quietly disappointed afterward, and when I asked her about it, she told me she thought there would be more playing and running around -- in fact, the party went really well in my opinion -- we held it at...
Hi all, Since dd was born she's been sensitive and shy -- never one of those kids who would bound joyously into the fray in playgrounds or kids' gatherings. She has been at a wonderful Montessori school since she was 4, and I think it's a great environment for her -- a very small, tight-knit community, a focus on social justice, etc. However, even in this rather "protected" environment she still struggles with finding her place in a group setting. She has friends...
I was livid about this episode, too. Especially because it came right after our having to go to battle with my (unvaxed) dd's private school about a child coming to school with chicken pox (he was vaxed, by the way) and the school's requiring that dd go into quarantine for 10 DAYS after that. Anyway, I think the show, if it chose to present a truly balanced view, could have been a lot more dramatic and thought-provoking had it gone in a different direction -- if the...
Thanks so much for the feedback! It's interesting; I've been so focused on my belief that dd's behavior is due to the fact that she is an "only," I hadn't even given any thought at all to the idea that it might just be her personality. So you definitely gave me something to think about! Coincidentally, tonight I had a wonderful experience with her -- I told her that I was going to cook dinner, and that I wanted her to first practice her piano, and then suggested that...
Hi there -- We always knew we would only have one child -- quite frankly, our marriage is not all that strong, and even though I think we are very good parents to dd, we would be absolutely lousy parents for more than one child. I had her when I was 38, and now I'm 45, so I'm pretty much past the decision-making time, anyway -- even though I did have that urge to have another one about 3-4 years ago. What I'm wondering from all of you, though, is whether you are...
Hi there -- I'm wondering if there might be interest in starting a new forum geared toward those of us who are raising only/single children? I think there are a lot of issues issues that we face that are unique to this situation, and I would very much like to trade ideas/concerns/etc. with others. Janice Thompson
"Mars" by Lori McKenna
I would love to share stories -- issues -- etc. concerning raising my only daughter. Would this be possible?
I'm so glad I'm not the only one!!!! 90210 is one of my (very) guilty pleasures -- I actually own seasons 1-4 -- and I still watch the early episodes on occasion. You folks don't sound old at all -- I was way past college when the show started -- and I'm still a fan! Though, funny, these days (now that I'm a mom) when I watch the early episodes, I realize I'm relating to the Walsh parents rather than to the kids -- especially with the drinking/partying/sex issues --...
Hi there -- as a lifelong piano player, I strongly recommend that you purchase a real piano. You never know if your children will end up really getting into it and wanting to play seriously as they get older. If there is even a remote chance of this, again, a real piano is really important. Even digital pianos with weighted keys do not have the same "action" as pianos, so your children will have to re-learn how to play a real piano later on. Again, this is only the...