or Connect

Posts by gozal

You're right, Cynthia, that wouldn't help you actually choose the cities for the list! I guess I was thinking maybe you would include a criteria list to help people decide, as well as city recommendations. In that case I would put "relative factors" or something on the list, covering exactly those things you can't grade a city on (like your particular cultural group or family - I have lived in diverse areas in which I was still very lonely as a minority). Thanks for...
ithappened, those are some seriously amazing babies! Congratulations! They are waaaay off the adorable meter - they must have gotten the entire cuteness allotment for your chunk of Europe! And I am so, so, so happy to hear you are feeling so well and, well, milking so well. Did you do an outstanding job of growing those two babes or what? 3.4 & 3.6 kilos?! Keep us posted on how you're doing while you enjoy your new two, okay?
What about being near extended family as an aspect of natural family living? To me that is definitely an aspect of "natural," if in a different way. There are also cultural factors for those who are part of minority communities, like my bicultural, bilingual family. There are cities that otherwise match many of our criteria (theoretically, if we were able to move) but that wouldn't really work for us because we wouldn't have a supportive community to celebrate holidays...
Interesting question about the doughnut pillows, I'll have to look into it. My OB recommended it for me - I had a pretty significant birth injury - and I could not imagine having made it without one. If that is the case I hope there is an alternative! With bf a newborn I feel like it's inevitable to spend a lot of time sitting striaght up.   Totally hear you on the fragility/fetching coffee visitor issue, is it puppies. I am really nervous b/c my MIL who sounds a lot...
ithappened, I am thinking of you and sending tons of good thoughts your way - hoping you are getting ready to meet your babies right about NOW. It's just nuts, I remember reading your first posts just as I was getting the news that we are expecting twins. I am super excited for your next update!   Adaline's Mama, I am not 100% sure about all of your questions (I need to ask some of them myself), but this is what I know so far: Will I be required to have some form of pain...
Renavoo, totally not gas, those are SMILES, mama! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I cannot get enough pics. Eek on having to deal with such a troublesome rash and the ER and the allergist on top of new-mom adjustment. I am absolutely sure you are doing it with panache!   Monkey, I'm so glad the shower went well! I want to hear all about your loot! And great news about the iron. I wonder if I've been tested lately? I'll ask next time.   Milk - so filled...
ithappened,   I was stalking the multiples board wondering if maybe you had had your twins already! I am totally heeding your suggestion with my crazy "double nesting" as I have been calling it. I cannot wait for our upcoming trip to Ikea. I am all about the lists, and I plan to accomplish the lists by September (ha! I know).    I freaked out about the protein thing for a while, but then I decided to just focus on excellent nutrition and call it a day. I did not have...
Another vote for both a good carrier and a good stroller. Definitely not an either/or for me. I had a high needs baby so I held/wore him almost constantly in the house - my back and arms needed the break of strolling him outside. Ultimately we ended up using both our carriers and our stroller relatively little, but I think we would have gotten much more use out of our a carrier had I found the right one(s) sooner. I had a pocket sling that didn't fit me well and that DS...
Truly, almost almost every conversation I've had over here has been completely awesome and respectful and open-minded and this one is no exception! I try hard to just be the change (easier said than done, I know). Many people don't realize I do nonmainstream things, and end up saying "Ew, breastfeeding a 3yo!" or whatever it may be, which then becomes an opening for a conversation. I'll just say simply, "Well, I bf DS until he was three" and because I don't seem like the...
To me, this is similar to what happens about cosleeping/bedsharing with an infant that is really frustrating. Every infant cosleeping death is massively publicized, whereas crib deaths are classified as SIDS or a need for a product recall. It's because one is a cultural norm and one is not. I do think many people have very negative feelings about cosleeping and HB, but keep them to themselves. Sometimes someone will make a comment to me because they have no idea that I...