or Connect

Posts by kittykat2481

I've been wanting to write this post for over a week, but I've just been too overwhelmed by all my feelings about it that I didn't know if I could make my ramblings make sense. To start, DS turned 3 in December and attends a full time Montessori school in the 3-6 class. He started this class in August when he was 2.8. He's always enjoyed school, made friends easily, and never really had any discipline issues to speak of.   Around that time he decided he wanted to...
  This is basically what we do too, only I just have a 3 year old. I'll step out to get his pj's ready, start a load of laundry, or something. As long as I can hear him talking to himself and playing I figure everything's ok. I don't think he'd ever try to get out of the tub by himself while I was gone, but he's tall enough and coordinated enough that he'd be fine if he did. If he gets quiet for more than a second, I just peak around the corner to make sure he's ok. I'll...
We took DS (3 but tall for his age) to the local bike shop to "try on" bikes and figure out what the best fit was. A 16 inch in one brand didn't work as well for him as a 16 inch in another brand. We ended up going with a 16 inch Haro, which was about $189. It was a little pricey, but not only is this bike very adjustable and likely to last him a few good years, but they also have a buy back policy, and will take it on a trade in when he's ready for a bigger bike. Also,...
I'd call myself more of a city kid than a country kid and we have plenty of bugs and wild life lol. Yes, I would let DS pick up a dead worm. I'd be ooged out, but it would be fine. A dead squirrel? No way.
This is why I don't decide what's good enough. I simply ask him if it was his best work. If every thing is upside down and backwards from what I would expect, but it's his best work, then I'm happy with it and he should be too.  
Hmm the week of. Sometimes the Saturday right before, but more because we don't have much time all together during the week than anything.
I always encourage my DS (3yo) to "do his best work". He goes to a Montessori school and his teacher will encourage him to "choose challenging work" also. I want the vocabulary to be there now, so that as he matures, (hopefully) the principle will stick with him. I want him to choose to do things he enjoys, and will encourage activities that interest him, but at the same time I would never tell him to just have fun at karate, for example, no matter the cost. If he wasn't...
I don't have a SN child, but I happened upon this post from the main page. I will say, however, that I buy DS gifts based on his strengths and weaknesses in, as well as his interests in general. If your child loves to jump, regardless of the reasons, I think an indoor trampoline is a fantastic gift. DS has one and he loves it. :)
I think I would talk to the Montessori teachers about ways to help her learn to choose appropriate and challenging work for herself. Maybe they could offer her some specific choices to help her focus. Maybe they could enlist the help of an older child to get her interested in something. If that absolutely couldn't be made to work (understanding that it could take a period of time for her to adjust) I'd probably do the Waldorf-ish school for the rest of the year, and then...
We have this too. I think it was $9.99 at CVS.