or Connect

Posts by kittykat2481

Quote: Originally Posted by SunshineJ As I was reading this, I was thinking this. The dependent needy infant stage is very hard for some people (mostly guys from those I've talked with, but I'll admit it's not my best age either!). The faster a child can be a little independent, the sooner the parent can feel more comfortable I guess. But sometimes there are other reasons for doing things than just trying to push a child to the next level. For...
I have an acquaintance who turned her dd's car seat around at 11 months and almost 19 lbs and was SOOO proud. I just don't get it. I mean, if you choose to go ff at 1 and 20, that's your choice as a parent, but why knowingly break the law and the proven minimum? And for what? This particular child had no problems with car rides either. I really don't get it!
My dad is very involved. We are neighbors so he visits with my 3yo sister at least 4-5 times a week, if not more. We spend a lot of time together. DS LOVES my dad completely, but we don't ask him to babysit often (we have twice in almost 14 months) because we just don't like to go out without DS much. He is, however, the only person that I do trust to babysit. My mom and I have a strained relationship, and she's just very wrapped up in herself, so while she only lives...
I read to my 13 month old EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. He loves loves loves books! I've been reading to him since he was very little though. I think it is important. I want him to develop a love for books and a love for learning. The Read Aloud Handbook was suggested to me before as well, but I haven't had a chance to get to it. (I'm a full time nursing student as well, and most of my reading time is full with medical text!)
I think it's interesting how different everyone's answers are. I would say maybe on the slippers, although I would try to discourage it. Yes on the clothes if they're clean and in season, and we've agreed to let him pick out his clothes. Yes to the sneakers in bed. And no to the trucks at the table. No toys at the table. I want to encourage good table manners from the get go, so we don't have to "teach" them at a later age.
If it were my wedding I would want to include you ds, but would understand if he gets nervous. I would never expect him to stand with the wedding party at the front of the church. When I got married my youngest sister was 18 months old, and I wanted to include her. So I got her a special dress, put her name in the program as the flower girl, but knew 99% that she wasn't going to walk down the aisle. In the end she just sat with my dad after he walked me down the aisle,...
Does she have pretty panties that she likes? Maybe let her pick out some super special panties that she won't want to get dirty. She's old enough to understand that. And if she dirties all of those, then the plain ones are all that's left. And maybe put BooBah's panties somewhere where she can't reach them so she can't sneak them. (By the way, I giggle as I type this because DS calls my breasts boohbahs lol.) What does she do if you're out of the house? I just wonder if...
Quote: Originally Posted by lolar2 Doesn't have to be all-or-nothing. You could also try different/ shorter hours. Maybe more days a week for fewer hours at a time would be less stressful, if you can arrange that with your work. Yes! Going one day a week leaves 6 days where he doesn't go, and makes the transition that much more difficult. Even two days a week (regardless of the number of hours, but half days would be great) would probably help...
Hmmmm... It seems you've already made your decision, but I'll give you my opinion anyway. Take it for what it's worth. I don't think there's one answer to everything you're experiencing. I think the good behavior at school may be in large part because of the structure and routine of the classroom. Many (if not most) children thrive in an environment with a certain level of predictability, which as you describe the school with organized play, song singing, etc, he...
: