or Connect

Posts by betts

I am a homebirth midwife who has been happy to serve women of color who range from low-income to upper middle class. I have not found any difference in outcomes for the low-income women because they were very committed to having a healthy pregnancy and safe birth and did everything possible to achieve that. A healthy diet is oftentimes your best bet for lowering your risk factor and it is possible to have a healthy diet even if you are low-income as many nutrient rich...
There are other homebirth practices as well as was mentioned Seven Cities Midwifery is in Norfolk and Full of Grace Midwifery and Virginia Homebirth Midwifery both serve Norfolk/Va Beach.
I have been a student with AAMI for about a year and LOVE IT! I left another program after spending 8 months feeling like it just wasn't cutting it and don't regret that decision at all. AAMI is what you make of it. The support is there if you ask for it, in fact in my experience, being a student at AAMI is like having a family of women who you belong to. I agree with a previous poster that you should make sure that the school you choose is more in line with your birth...
I paid for my AAMI tuition in full out of our savings and have been paying it back (almost done!) with an overnight postpartum doula job. I charged $15-25 an hour. I usually get time to study while I am there as well. I think it is worth it to go for it...
I haven't checked in for awhile. I have been following the thread through the email updates...you all have been busy!!! Congrats to all of you. I attended my first homebirth as an apprentice, it ended up being two days and a transfer. I still did a lot, even at the hospital I was able to help the mom push alone (they were really cool at the hospital) I feel more confident about everything...I think it is going to happen. Figuring out how to cut back on stuff to give...
I think I have an apprenticeship! I did my first prenatal and postpartum rounds with the midwife and the other apprentices a couple days ago. It felt good to be actually doing midwifery stuff rather than just doula work. She is very busy in the next few months so there will be lots of births for me to attend! I am working on prepak assignments for AAMI. I haven't had much time to dig in the past week. I am ready to have some serious study time soon.
Quote: Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 I am super excited! I am moving back to NH and will be able to go to the AAMI skills lab in October I will be at the skills lab! It will be my second try, the first one I had to leave after the first day because it was local and one of my clients went into labor! It will be nice to see someone from this group there. This past weekend I was in West Virginia attending my fourth session at Sacred...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamato3cherubs Well, just sharing-- I sent off the form for my curriculum today for AAMI. I don't know if I am ready yet, but I guess I will have a few weeks to try to finalize what I do have going. Im feeling scared and overwhelmed today I am hating my current job and really really struggling to go everyday. I am trying to be productive in my life and it is such a worthless job to me and feels like such a waste of time if...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gunter just reading along. to protect her privacy, i will avoid details beyond that. but, i did want to put it out there that i feel a stronger call to the practice of homebirth midwifery after this experience. anyone else know what i mean or had a similar experience on your journey? now, to take a deep breath. I have a active doula business and unfortunately all of my clients are hospital births. Since May,...
Bali sounds wonderful! I hope to be able to do something like that. I am working on my AAMI, sorting and getting assignments together so that I can request my prepak. I was surprised that I had on my own done several of the things on the list in the weeks leading up to enrolling. I am still taking my time, I would like to do most of them. I am busy with my doula work, I have a postpartum client right now. It is hard to squeeze the time in, but I like the challenge!