or Connect

Posts by howdeepistheocean

I've just decided to get a midwife this pregnancy, rather late in the game, as I'm almost 35 wks. My first two were unassisted, but I think this is the right choice for me this time around. My dh will be gone up till 2.5 wks before I'm due, so I feel like I'm covered for 1 wk before that as I don't feel comfortable birthing alone. Also, I know unassisted birth really stresses my dh out and he feels so overwhelmed and responsible. I think that a midwife will help even if...
I get exactly the opposite of this. I have a very charming engaging, long curly blond haired chubby 3 yr old son, who some people completely ignore while they  Oooh and aww and almost baby talk to my 5 & 6 yr old african sons...who of course are way too old to be told they are soo adorable as it makes them uncomfortable. This just happened again last week, as my outgoing 3 yr old tried to chat to this lady while she totally ignored him and kept saying how adorable my 5 &...
I grew up in a white family, with one blond sister. My other two brunette sisters and I (brunette) always preferred being brunette, and disliked blond hair. My childhood dream was to have black hair and darker skin. We would show off tans and were envious of anyone who naturally had darker skin or who would tan easily.  I still sincerely think that white skin is the least pretty of all (not that we're not pretty, but our skin just isn't), and that black hair is very...
Very beautiful story! Congratulations!  
I'm due Nov 24, with a baby girl, the first after 3 boys. This is my 3rd UC, and I'm doing it UP this time as well, (although I did have an ultrasound)   Feeling great, and getting larger, and am excited about birthing at home, but a little worried because my dh is working 10 hrs away for a week or two every few weeks. He'll try to get off a few weeks before baby is due, but if she comes earlier I may be on my own.   My last birth was 2 hrs from very very start to...
Very interesting article. Thank you for posting it. I understood it to mean polyester in general...not only the recycled kind. I have been trying to steer clear of polyester clothing and bedding in general. Thankfully my boys only had a few sweatshirts and pj's I had to get rid of, and a few polyester/acrylic blankets. I am expecting a baby in Nov, and have a big diaper stash...but will probably try to get a few wool covers in each size, and only use my PUL ones as...
Akemt...I Pm'd you some more questions about homesteading in Alaska, so as not to flood the Unassisted board with non-relevant information...did you get it?
Even though you've already had good replies, I had to answer too, as I'm from Montana as well. I've noticed that goat milk tastes "off" for weeks after they give birth. Like my goats had babies a little over 2 wks ago, and it still doesn't taste good to me. I know last yr, I ended up having very good tasting milk, even if I didn't cool it perfectly, so I'm not too worried. I'm sure with time it will taste much bette.  
I'm a homesteader in the forest, but not self-sufficient. We have goats & chickens, and a garden. It's tough, we had to buy the dirt for our garden, as forest soil wouldn't grow anything here, and often we get very little sun. And space is very limited, as a garden cannot be put among the trees, so we have a clearing for it. We only have 2 acres, and we try to let the chickens and goats free-range in the summer. We also get all our wood from nearby national forest, and...
Sorry, I wasn't thinking...my mind pictured a little bush plane...lol    Yes, I'm in the Rockies, and we get a lot of snow. I can see it would be warmer and less snow on the coast where you live. I told my dh about it, and he said. "Let's move there." Neither of us have ever been to Alaska, so I always picture it as a lot colder and longer winters than where I live...I didn't realize AK had that long piece of land coming down beside BC. Neat.     We regularly talk...