or Connect

Posts by gabry

Another vote for "go for it". Aside from the immediate benefits, it is also valuable looking at the future. You having a job now, even if you were to do it temporarily, improves your chances of future employment. And your youngest will not be in daycare forever, so in a few years you won't have to worry about that cost anymore. Disclaimer: this is a pet peeve of mine - the cost of daycare should not be subtracted only form the mom's income, but the dad's also. There's more...
I'm a big believer! Our ds2 got one when he was almost 2 and loved it, and learned to ride a regular bike without training wheels a month before his 3rd birthday in less than an hour! There was no way he would have done that if he had used a regular bike with training wheels like our ds1.
Thanks Allison and Mumkimum, I appreciate you sharing your experiences, it definitely helps. Meanwhile I've been talking to people IRL as well, which can be confusing, but also helpful.
Ok, I see what you meant now. I guess I'm trying to pretend it's not even close to fall yet ;-)
Thanks for your insights and additional suggestions of what to consider and discuss. I guess I wasn't clear, he would do a split 1/2 grade until Xmas, and then go to 2nd year (if all goes well and all agree) from Xmas onward, so only one grade up. Have to run now, but thanks again!
Thanks Olly, I did do some reading on the gifted forum, which was helpful. I get a little discouraged, because it seems in the US and maybe other countries as well, there are a lot more opportunities besides grade skipping, with gifted programs, extensive testing, expanding in the classroom etc. It seems these are quite limited here, but maybe I need to press a bit harder. Of course, it's possible opportunities exist in other schools/ towns as well, but that also seems...
Pbjmama, that makes sense, I will at least do a search and see what's already there. And yes, the steps you suggest make sense and that's what we'll do for starters. Anybody have any thoughts about the longterm consequences, when the child gets older?
Thank you for sharing. We're in Belgium, not sure they use the IAS here? I actually doubt it.. But I might ask if they would consider using whatever they use locally to make a more complete assessment. Writing is a point of attention, he does not write that well yet, so we would have to work on that at home as well. I didn't go to the gifted forum as I'm not sure he's 'officially' gifted, prob 'academically advanced'. He definitely didn't read at age 3 or anything like...
I am looking for some advice on this topic, from personal or professional experience. Ds2 just started first grade, and his teacher and the "special ed" teacher have asked us to come in for a talk because he is about one year ahead with reading and math. We knew this, and the initial plan was to provide him with extra work in the classroom. Now they are suggesting an alternative plan, where he would start spending afternoons in second grade, and if all goes well, move to...
I work a theoretical 36 hours a week, but usually end up with at least several hours more of extra work in the evenings at home, or being away for congresses or meetings. However, there are no fixed hours, and I can come in late and/or leave early or work from home if there are no meetings or appointments scheduled (which I mostly control myself). So, I work hard (as is expected more or less in the company/ for this job), but I have lots of flexibility. And I looove my...