or Connect

Posts by gabry

Yep. And then when things started going better with my oldest, we moved to another continent and started all over again - seems like a whole new set of bugs he had to get used to. Seems like they're both a whole lot better now, keeping fingers crossed for the winter time..
I always tell myself (and my dh) that the list of qualifications/ requirements is a mere "wish list". Sure, it would be great if candidates have every single one, but this will rarely be the case, and so they'll have to choose which "gap" they can most live with. For your sake, it might be good to have an argument/ plan as to why it's no big deal you don't meet that certain requirement now (e.g. you'll learn on the job, you could take a course, you make up for it with...
I picked a daycare center for ds2 late 2nd tri. When I went there one week before returning to work to finalize some things, everything about it felt wrong. I frantically got on the phone and was able to find a wonderful in-home daycare 2 days before work started. Of course, it's impossible to tell exactly what effect your "hormonal state" may have had on your reactions, so maybe you should dig a little. Are there objective differences between the two centers that justify...
I work 4 days a week in a corporate environment. Most of the time, I like my job, some days I love it. I do take pride in working, I like the added financial security (saving for retirement etc) and it does partly define who I am. What I don't like is leaving my kids everyday, the logistics of childcare, evening meetings, travel abroad. Working less than 4 days a week in this or another job in my field is not gonna happen. I've often thought about SAH, at least for a...
Thanks for your thoughts.. No, health insurance would not be an issue (we're in Belgium, maybe the Netherlands in the future). Forgot to mention - a move might also be in the works. But actually, I think it might be easier to not work while possibly being pregnant, organizing a move, etc. Anyways, to be honest I'm not too optimistic about having a normal pregnancy after all those m/c The residency actually won't happen for at least 1-2 years, so my thinking is: if we...
I work 4 days a week in a corporate environment. Most of the time, I like my job, some days I love it. I do take pride in working, I like the added financial security (saving for retirement etc) and it does partly define who I am. What I don't like is leaving my kids everyday, the logistics of childcare, evening meetings, travel abroad. Working less than 4 days a week in this or another job in my field is not gonna happen. I've often thought about SAH, at least for a...
Post-nasal drip was also my first thought when reading your post. It can be caused by allergies, or viral infection like the cold your dd had (or maybe still has). Basically anything that causes inflammation of the upper airways. A decongestant or antihistamine might help temporarily, but she is a bit young for those - if you would even consider meds at all. Of course, if it keeps on, you may want to have her checked for allergies and address those. If there's wheezing,...
Thanks for your reply. I guess deep down I know he is not actually choosing a tantrum, but thinking that would justify my anger about it. I don't have "The science of parenting" but re-read the Mothering article. I guess I never thought it could still apply to 5 year olds.. Yes, during the summer we visited my inlaws in the Philippines for three weeks and when we came back he went to some "day camps", so lots of new experiences and no routine whatsoever. He actually had...
I have always woh, and generally speaking ds1 has done well at daycare, now at preschool, and with the occasional sitter. There have been occasional times that were a bit harder, but lately he's thrown me for a loop and I don't know how to respond/ deal with this. About once a week in the past few weeks he has created some huge drama at drop-off. It's like a fullblown toddler tantrum, but with the strength and volume of a five year old. He'll scream and cry and hang on to...
It is hard, isn't it? In my experience it gets easier, and then harder again, it's cyclical, depending on lots of things. But the specific issues of how many hours she has to spend there, and whether or not changing so quickly is gonna make it harder - like pp said, you do the best you can. If these are not things you have a choice in, the best thing to do is to accept and move on. And, where possible, look at the glass half full. Sure, changing now is not ideal, but it...