or Connect

Posts by FischK

A friend of mine is relocating to the Tyler-area and she has trouble finding good daycare options for her toddler-age daughter. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Michelle, sorry to hear you're going through this.     
Thanks for posting this. I hope someone can help out.   I'd love to do this, but as someone who has lived in Europe for more than 6 months in the 80's and 90's, I'm ineligible because I'm a potential carrier of CJD. It really bugs me b/c I make more than enough milk and I'd love to share the wealth for a good cause. They could screen for prions, but so far that doesn't seem to have crossed their minds (or anyone else's: I can't donate blood, stem cells, etc);
I'm looking forward to TG too. We're not traveling for the second year in a row - yay - and instead we're hosting our own dinner and inviting friends who also have no family nearby. I'm actually not that fond of TG-foods, or at least I wasn't until I started cooking my own meals; I always thought of TG-foods as boring and bland. Now, I'm trying to make TG-meal as interesting as possible by finding lots of interesting recipes that use traditional ingredients in a...
Anton is not laughing yet - he's only 9 1/2 weeks - but he's "talking" like a pro. Very cute.   We also got some stats: at 9 weeks, he was 14 lbs 12 oz and 23 3/4 inches. I'm packing up the small-sized diapers and moving to medium. 
Yup, this is hard, and I only have two like you. I've been dealing with both kids for 3-4 days and nights per week for the last 3 weeks (and will be doing this for the next 2 1/2 years) and it is so much harder than part-time single-parenting 1 child. Meltdowns are inevitable at the beginning but they become less frequent, both in terms of raising one's voice and bursting into tears and tantrums. The key is to establish a routine for days/nights when you're alone and to...
DH says he read somewhere that men could lactate as a last resort, for example when stranded with a baby in the middle of nowhere. Still, he refuses to let me put him in that situation because it would be "too weird." And believe it or not, he actually checks the fridge every time I leave the house to ensure that there's a bottle for the baby. But I can't tell you how tempted I've been to put him and the baby in the car, drive 60 min north of here and unload both in the...
Babies changing patterns are weird. I was having some difficulty with Anton last week - he became quite moody and nothing would calm him - until I realized that he was bored with the sleep-eat-poop-repeat routine. Now I'm spending 10-15 minutes several times a day holding him on my knees so that he can see my face, and we talk, sing, play finger games, and make faces. He loves it and smiles a lot. We sometimes do tummy time, and often either I or DS1 will lie down right...
Welcome back! Sorry you had such a rough time, but I'm glad you managed to overcome PPD so quickly.
We keep our living area around 68, but the bedrooms are way colder. In fact we usually sleep with the window open at night even when it is freezing outside, so normally our bedroom is somewhere between 40 and 50F around this time a year and maybe around 55 during the day. DS2 sleeps in bed with me and usually wears a sleeper and a sleeping bag. He also shares my duvet, but his upper body and head normally stick out.