or Connect

Posts by yllek

Bac-Out is the best thing I've ever used in my carpet washer. Stains disappear, carpet smells fresh (but not perfumed), and the product is eco-friendly. 
Did you find it? Here's the direct link for Evernote.  http://evernote.com/   I'll just say now, you are going to thank me.  It's so much better than bookmark folders. I cannot begin to tell you how much this program rocks. Have fun playing!
I think the type of organization system that you want is going to depend a lot on they type of homeschool mom you tend to be. If you're very curriculum-driven (which it sounds like you are not), then you might want to divide everything that you want to do into weekly files. I cannot work this way, but I tend to be very go-with-the-flow.    For resources that I find online, I use Evernote to clip and tag. Finding the right resources is effortless with Evernote. I...
For the earliest stages of letter-sound correspondence we loved Starfall.com and the Leapfrog videos.    We used Phonics Pathways, but stalled because it was so dull. I eventually used it a "spine," while incorporating the activities from the Florida Center for Reading Research Student Center Activities. There are ton of fun manipulatives, games and worksheets available for free. Just download the pdfs and print.    We also used Progressive Readers for a while....
Years ago, there was a blog post about simple handmade books for kids. I love the idea of keeping lots and lots of simple, stapled books for kids to fill. I think it's fun to make more fancy books too (I occasionally do these too), but the "fun" of binding and folding wears thin after a while. Mostly I think kids just want a space to get their thoughts and drawings down. I had to go get a long-arm stapler because we do so many of those stapled books.   As for...
Laundrycrisis, I am so glad that you joined this thread, because what you wrote up there is golden! It's so important to keep this in mind as we work with our unique LD kids.    [edited to add...] Not sure what happened to the rest of the post I wrote. I wanted to write that the neuropsych eval helped us figure out the wide spectrum of specific issues that ds was dealing with. And because our neuropsych didn't have a specific therapeutic approach he was "selling," he...
 Thanks! That made my day!
Try the Baltimore Curriculum Project literature lessons, based on the Core Knowledge literature scope and sequence. Like the Sonlight booklist, kindergarten has a lot of nursery rhymes, while first grade covers lots of fairy and folk tales. The BCP plans are not scheduled the way Sonlight is, but the lessons are organized by month and are VERY clearly laid out. And it's free. 
My dh is dyslexic, and we thought for sure ds was dyslexic, but it turns out that he has a variety of other issues that affect learning: SPD, dyspraxia, visual processing issues and expressive language disorder. We sought a complete evaluation from a well-regarded neuropsychologist in order to get this level of highly detailed information, and I am sooo thankful that we did. We are now able to implement therapies that specifically address his issues, and they are helping...
  Writing is hard. Teaching someone else how to write is even harder.    Amy, is it possible that your daughter is simply not familiar with filling out this kind of worksheet? If she's doing daily summaries, she has got to be able to read for information and answer questions about what she has read, right? I'm thinking that with one or two quick lessons about this kind of assignment, she'll doing whizzing along with the other Sunday school kids....