or Connect

Posts by melijack1

In my proposed agreement I put that we rotate Thanksgiving, and then for Christmas one of us gets the first half of the Christmas school holiday, and the othe one gets the second half. Christmas falls inside of the first half of the school holiday, so that includes Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Is it ideal, no, but that way both people can take vacations, as Christmas holiday is generally 11-14 days long.
Quote: Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer FWIW, I saw this as more of "allow yourself to be OK with it" than actually giving her permission. That's exactly what I meant, sorry about the confusion.
I'm in school to become a paralegal. Can I lurk in here a bit?
DS is 3 1/2 and DSD is almost 12. DS knows that his sister has a different mommy, but she is his sister (or "Sissy" as he calls her). We have never used the word half with him. DSD calls him her brother when she is around us, but I know she calls him her half-brother when she is with her mother/at school. It's fine. All 4 of DSD's siblings are technically halfs to her, but the three on her mother's side she refers to as just sisters/brother. She is not as bonded to...
I am a stepmom, have been for 10 years. I am also a bio-mom and divorcing, so will likely be in your shoes eventually. I say your already-existing attitude is your biggest asset in a positive relationship all around. You are a great mama. I echo the advice to make sure any issues with the children area handled between yourself and your ex. As a stepmom, I always encouraged my husband to consider my point of view, and we would discuss it together, and then he would...
Where I live (MN), there are guidelines and what they do is try to keep the child in equitable households. So, I am going for sole custody, and my STBX wants 50/50. The decision is not at all financially driven for me, but it is for him. The MN guidelines, and our respective incomes, reflect that I am responsible for 63% of our son's care, and Chris is responsible for 37%, based on the last 2 years' incomes. So he knows that if he gets joint custody, not only will he...
Quote: Originally Posted by Goodmom2008 Push for imputed income. Child support guidelines do allow for imputation of income when the person voluntarily lowered their income or is deliberately underemployed. My ex found that out the hard way. This is exactly why Chris is going for joint custody. Right now, he makes about $20,000 a year, if you look how his hourly wage would equal out. However, they are looking at 2008 tax year, in which he...
My husband is pursuing joint custody for the sole purpose of not only avoiding CS, but being able to collect it from me, as I am the higher earner in our family. He is not really interested in having our son full time, as is evidenced by this week, when he is supposed to have our son, yet I had him from 7a-7p on Wednesday, last night for 4 hours, and am having him for supper tonight. It's control and finances which are his motives. If he was stable, emotionally,...
I am going back to my maiden name. It killed me to change my name when I got married, so I am happy to go back to MY name. There are several reasons...1) I am one of three daughters, and the family name dies out when we all get married, so part of me wants to go back to it, 2) I am just as much C's mother whether I have his last name or not, and when and if I get remarried and if I take a new husband's name, it would be different anyway, 3) I don't want to share a name...
Most television shows and movies in which children are in car seats make me want to throw things at the tv. Lifetime movies are by far the worst for that though. Someone needs to send these kids new seats. At least the Jon & Kate Plus 8 kids are in good seats and properly buckled from what I have seen.