or Connect

Posts by melijack1

I have always told Mona that she is the child of my heart. She is a wonderful girl, and I am so lucky that I have been in her life since she was just a year old, and she doesn't remember a time without all four of her parents. She is a fascinating girl, with a fantastic sense of humor, a loving soul and a wonderful personality. I love that she is happy to talk to me about mom things. I love that she and I like the same movies and games and similar music. I love that...
I owe Mona's mother a lot, emotionally. She shares this wonderful girl with me with no visible hesitation. She understands that Mona and I have a very close relationship and she knows that I TRULY have Mona's best interests at heart. She knows that my family and I love Mona for the wonderful girl that she is. Mona's mother and stepdad shares a rule with us that we never badmouth each other in front of Mona, and we try not to do it at all. Mona's mother has listened to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oriole To be honest, I also never understood how EOW is fair. Is four days a month enough for you to build relationship with your child? I would assume you would answer "heck no!" Shouldn't a father get the same consideration, kwim? I speak from being on both sides of the fence. As an EOW family, I can answer definitely NO, it's not enough. But since we live in separate school districts (about 45 minutes apart)...
I think that a child can't have too many people in their lives to love them, and clearly the children have a loving bond. I think it's perfectly fine for them to call each other brothers and sister. It makes me smile, actually. Mona has always called my family Grandma, Auntie, Cousin, whatever...rarely does she specify step, unless it is needed for clarity's sake. I know it's not the same thing exactly, but in your case I think it is wonderful that they care so much...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oriole Of course I don't know how good the relationship between stepmom and the kids is, but while I'm sure this is true legally, I find this very sad. All the time, patience, love amounts to not even enough to grant me maintain relationship with a stepchild that I love. "A phone call" should suffice? She couldn't love her stepmother, could she? And miss her. It can't be possibly in her best interest to have a healthy...
We are the NCP. Mona is 11 years old, and is getting active in sports, and there are always birthday parties, etc. We do get to make up most things, or say there is a birthday party on a Friday night and it is a slumber party on our weekend. We will just pick her up on Saturday and finish out our weekend with her. Or if it is a few hours that she needs to be somewhere on our weekend, we will take her to the activity and pick her up after. If it is something that makes...
We have discussed this with Mona's mother and stepdad, actually. If DH was to pass away, then we have it worked out so that Mona would come and stay with me for one weekend a month if I am within 300 miles, and if I am out of that range, we would work something else out. That is mainly because Mona and Colton ARE blood siblings, and it is important to all of us that Mona keep her sibling relationships. It is the same if Mona's mother were to pass away, we would get...
I finaly had to decide that I we are doing the best for our children that WE can do. Colton's infant seat was a hand-me-down from my older sister and he was little so he fit in that for a year. We have since used: A Scenara which has been given to our nephew now, A Cosco Summit still in use, a Cosco high-back booster (given to us by the car seat safety class that our county social services conducted...if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me), and a Graco...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fianna Actually NO one knows what they are getting into, regardless of the situation, step or non-step. I can get pregnant today and assume I know what I'm "in for" since I've gone down this pregnancy road twice before but as we all know, nothing is a given. There are way too many factors and possibilities. Nothing is within our total control. Knowing that my dh has children and even having a relationship with those children...
I did know what I was getting into...I was getting a husband I loved and a stepdaughter I ADORED. The rest of it has been a learning process. It has been more work and heartache at times than I can describe. But Mona also taught me love beyond all measure. I love that child. I have since she was a year old. Has it been work? Absolutely. We went from using a safe exchange and visitation center because my DH and DSD's mother could not be in the same room, to where we...