or Connect

Posts by skreader

My kids are now 16 & almost 18. Since they got to secondary school, there's been a general expectation that they should tidy their rooms and vacuum once a week & that they change their bed-linens every couple of weeks. Usually it's a family activity (DH & I change linens while the kids do their own).   The older one is a neatnik, but tends to let the dust & mold build up. Doesn't  always vacuum when necessary. The younger is a bit slobbier, plus asthmatic, so we have to...
My husband also often talks to his mom  (who is also a widow & visits w/ her. But, that's one of the the things I love about him. My DH is also the eldest son of a Chinese family & feels the responsibilities that come w/ that position as well. One thing that has developed over the years as we've married is that Saturday morning is often "parent talk time". I call my mom and dad and chat w/ them a lot & that's often a time he uses to chat w/ his mom.   My m-i-l doesn't...
I was once in a women's group and one meeting someone brought a book about massage & we all learned & practiced giving foot massages to each other.
Our son is just turned 16 & my husband and I have noticed in the past month or two he sometimes speaks to us in a surly or raised tone of voice. Sometimes there is eye rolling and a bit of what is called "dumb insolence" http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dumb-insolence   We have talked to him about it & he is trying to control it a bit and we are also trying to sometimes cut him some slack. I know that sometimes in adolescence other people can be SO...
I sometimes try and have these thoughts & sayings echo in my brain     "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without"   From different religions.   "Who is rich? He who is contented with his lot" http://www.torah.org/learning/pirkei-avos/chapter4-1b.html   'Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal,  but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and...
I use the seasonal changes & activities as times to throw away & de-clutter around the year.    *  Dec-Jan = Pre Lunar New Year clean & tidy - the apartment block has a special recycle bin for used but usable clothes. It's also the traditional time to do a big sweep out & clean  * Spring shift  to Summer clothes - Usually in June - it's a traditional saying that you don't put away the winter woolies until after Dragon Boat Festival (5th day of 5th Lunar month). *...
Gravy Many soups Most veg & meat dishes Lentils Taboulleh Salads in general
I would suggest that you look at a lot of Indian vegetarian recipes & avoid/delete the dairy, rice & breads.   You can use potatoes & garbanzo bean flour (besan)  instead, I guess. Use vegetable oil instead of ghee.
We have a microwave rice cooker w/ a ceramic inset.   I think one can also buy electronic rice cookers w/ ceramic inner-parts instead of the standard metal.
Yes, most evenings. Have done so since the kids were able to sit at table. They are now teenagers.