or Connect

Posts by skreader

I don't identify as a "minimalist" - rather as a practical, frugal, person who tries to live in a way that is comfortable and  (if possible) ethical.
I understand about the worry of it being tacky and awkward. Frankly, I would try and avoid the whole thing, despite you wanting to show support to the fellow running the missions.   Maybe try hats?   An Akubra hat to symbolize Australians?   Various football hats or scarves to represent other nations?   Liverpool, Chelsea or Manchester United or Manchester City to represent the UK?   Get an AS Roma or AC Milan  hat to represent Italy?   FC Bayern...
I agree w/ Augustgirl,   Getsome counseling (if possible) for yourself and maybe the rest of your family, to try and get some advice on how to deal with those questions.   If your biological daughter and step-daughters have a strong relationship w/ you and your husband (dad/step-dad) then the money issues will not be so important.    You *are* young to be dealing with all this, but on the positive side, when your girls are adults, you and your husband will...
Not super minimalist, but here are our furniture & major appliances. We live in a 3-bedroom flat 2/ two teenagers.   Kitchen  - washing machine - a stove-top with 3 gas burners & an electric oven - refrigerator - a folding step-stool (to reach high shelves) It's not what I grew up calling an "eat-in kitchen" - no table or room for a table.   Store-room  - an old wardrobe that we use as the pantry - some free-standing wire shelves to hold food and...
The line I took (and take) w/ my DD is that much of the fashion and make-up industries rely on making women and girls feel inadequate and ugly, in the interest of selling new stuff all the time.  This follows from the fact that for most cultures, how a woman LOOKS is considered more important than what she DOES.   That said, I encourage her (my DD) to ask herself when she shopped - do I like this color, this cut, the way these clothes feel when I move? Am I...
Hi Redheather,   Menstruating for the first time was/is a big deal for you, but NOT for me, and not for my daughter.   I am not ashamed or disgusted by menstruation; I see it as a normal physiological process. In addition to menstruating, I also sweat, urinate, defecate and (in the past) lactated.  My eyes exude tears and and my ears, ear wax. I clear phlegm from from my throat and regularly blow snot from my nose. I am not ashamed of any of it (although in the interests...
Behavioral changes: Showers Take showers of 4 minutes or less. You can buy timers. Shower like a sailor: get wet. Turn off water. Apply soap and wash. Turn on water and rinse.   I just googled it and saw it's in wikipedia and it's called a "Navy" or Military shower - 2 minutes or less. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower   Utilities In summer - use curtains and shutters and other things to block sunlight and keep your rooms cool.   In...
Pickle them? http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pickled_eggs/   Or make tea eggs?
If they're wooden, why not boil them for 10 minutes? Then oil them and polish them.  
In theory, we vacuum the living room/dining room & hallways every day & it takes less than 10 minutes. In  reality, it's probably only 5 times a week.     We vacuum the bedrooms about once a week (dust first). I'd say maybe 10 or 15 minutes per bedroom - so 30-45 minutes. But that means under the bed and around the wardrobes & base boards and window frames.