or Connect

Posts by skreader

You write: ... I am seeking is ways to help her understand that she can not just help herself to whatever appeals to her in the moment. if I leave my lip liner on the counter, she can't draw a picture with it. She can use it, sure, but don't waste it. I want her to realize that she can't take things from her sister's room, even if nobody is around to see. That she can't throw a piece of paper/trash on the floor in the living room simply because it's easier in the...
Not really. We have few communication issues, and those that we have are more based on the fact that he's a man and the oldest in his sib group and I'm a woman and a middle-child. We both come from large talkative families, so that similarity helps reduce communication issues. When we do discover we see things differently, we talk about the differences.
I am 47 and don't wear make-up, never really did (unless you some count dabbing on cover-up on some pimples occasionally). It's mostly because I think I look great without it & don't want to bother with it. Where I live, some women wear a bit, some wear a lot, and some wear none. It doesn't seem to be a big deal (or else I'm oblivious).
My 18 year old self would definitely believe it and (I think) be pleased.
Give her lots of water   Take her to a doctor & get her urine cultured ASAP - you don't want the UTI to move up her urinary track and turn into a kidney infection.
Cookie press butter cookies (decorated)   Cream cheese fold-overs w/ jam   Cookie cutter butter cookies (decorated)   MAYBE - pinwheel cookies  
Decks of cards   Copy of "Hoyle's Rules of Games" http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=3035077 http://www.amazon.com/Hoyles-Rules-Revised-Updated-Edition/dp/0451204840   A money belt/travel pouch   A small universal electrical adaptor?   A small travel clothes line & small packets of laundry detergent?   Quart size & sandwich size ziplock baggies   Small packs of wet-wipes   A 12 pack of mini tissue   Small first aid kit   A...
What I've done to help my dd (now 16)   #1 Giver her knowledge that the display of images of idealized women is used to SELL. Either to sell products not necessarily related to women's bodies (beer or cars) or to make women feel upset or angry, or at least uncomfortable with themselves and think they need to "fix" themselves. I give an anti-patriarchal somewhat anti-capitalist explanation for why this occurs (a semi-joke at home, "I blame the patriarchy!" - also we...
My kids are 14 & 16. The younger one is preparing for IGCSE next year and older one, for the IB.   They don't have much free time.   Weekdays, they leave for school at 7:15 and get home from school at 4:20. They have a bit of time to relax, do their house-work, then homework. Supper at 7 and either more home-work or study until lights out at 9:30; or some relaxation (reading novels, looking at funny things on the internet; or for my son, playing w/ building...
Like Linda, very different situation to what you describe.   We limit in some ways by their spending money. They have a certain amount of pocket money per week, some of which MUST be spent on things like transportation to and from school. What they do w/ money left-over is mostly up to them. For example, my son buys potato chips after school sometimes (he's 14). If we notice potato chip bags in the rubbish more than once or twice a week, we DO comment on it a bit...