or Connect

Posts by skreader

My kids' school has an e-system with most communication going via email. If my kid is ill, I email to abesence@domain-name-of-school. If I have a general worry or concern, I email to my kids' form tutor (in the US it would be "home room teacher". Or, if I have a particular worry or concern w/ a class, I can email the teacher concerned.     There is also a set-up for especially good news, when one of the kids earns a merit. Then the email comes w/ a subject line...
I think this is quite normal language development, even for mono-lingual kids. I remember my younger sibs as toddlers saying "Carry you! Carry you!" when they wanted to be carried, because they were   used to hearing someone say something along the lines of "Do you want me to carry you?"   I think my kids went through it a bit. Some people try to avoid pronouns for a while and use names "You want Mama to change LO's nappy?" But using the third person all the time can...
What do you do to stop him  (or try to stop him) when you don't blow your fuse?  
Different things work for different people.   My kids wear jammies. I always liked the way they signalled the routine of bed-time (put them on after the evening bath). I agree that it helps to keep the bed linens clean. Getting the kids dressed in the morning was never a struggle for us, so the idea of wearing tomorrow's clothes to bed was not tempting.
When my kids were very young and we ate out, they would sit on my lap at the table. When they got older (over 2), sometimes they would have a booster seat.    They never threw anything, but usually DH or I fed them out of our bowsl or one that we controlled, until they were around 3.    My desire for hygiene was (and is) the same for my kids as it is for me. If a restaurant table is too filthy for my kid, it's too filthy for me and I would not eat there.  
I think I'm a pretty good mother and try not to worry too much about it. I think that the definition of a "good parent" changes a lot based on culture, social group, and historical  time period. One time I was talking about it w/ my husband. When and where he grew up, if you could feed your kids, send them to primary school, and buy them a new set of clothes at Chinese New Year - you were a good parent.   Now  things have changed - are the children going to a "good"...
Father's family name. It seems to be the law in HK that if the father is named on the birth certificate, then the child gets the father's family name. It didn't bother me that much - I know I live in a patriarcal society and the family name *I* use  and consider "mine" is my father's family name.   I didn't change my name on my documents mainly because it would be a huge bother. I answer to the name of "Mrs. X" at doctor's offices and the kids' school. In emails to...
re: Blue hair  - what color is your DDs hair? Because if it is dark, then she'll have to probably peroxide it to get it pale enough to take a blue dye.   My DD (14) wanted purple streaks and after lots of conversation I agreed to pay half (and she pay half) at a salon to have She has very dark hair so the purple faded quite quickly to the paler color that was required to make purple show up. Then she was messing about w/ her hair for the next few months.   My...
I agree w/ Annie Mac's analysis is the problem of girls becoming sexual objects rather than beings.   I also dislike these sorts of articles that present one small sub-section of society (upper middle-class girls from a New Jersey suburb and their parents, basically the author's social circle) and its concerns as universal. It's not. Too bad she regrets her sexual history before marriage. I look back on my own history with fondness.   When my daughter was about...
We celebrate it as a religious holiday too.  We dye easter eggs and  put them in a bowl.  We also sometimes do the blown-egg technique and decoarte and hang from a house-plant. When the children were younger, I would get together w/ a friend whose kids are about the same ages as mine and have it be an egg dying and decorating party. Now we just decorate as a family.     Some  years I've been really together and brought the kids to Maundy Thursday dinner, Good...