or Connect

Posts by skreader

I'm the opposite of most of the posters here - use a bread machine but never used a stand-mixer.  My husband and I both work outside and we would not have fresh bread w/out the bread machine. I love it .  It's also useful to control the temperature for the rising - in winter our house is too cold & we have no pilot light in our oven .   For mixing things, I use a spoon or a whisk  - but I only whip egg whites or cream once or twice a year (if that). We also have a food...
I think that it sounds like you've figured out a method to help her learn self-control. Different kids want and need different types of handling and teaching.   I think that "firm and clear" is not the opposite of "gentle", so good for you and see how things go.
  Necessities  - property tax &  management fees for flat  - school fees for kids - electricity - water  - gas for cooking  - food - clothes & shoes (minimum) - transportation (bus fare, at least) - lap tops & internet access (kids need for school now, required) - insurance for house     Luxuries - charitable donations (seems wrong not to put it as a necessity, but there it is...)  - mobile phones - some pay-TV stations - car &...
As Lizziebits wrote, there's different components of prayer, often divided into:   Adoration & Worship - G-d, you are amazing and your creation is amazing and I'm in awe   Confession/Penitence - G-d, I messed up and I'm really sorry   Thanksgiving  - Thanks for all the great things you have done for me and the world (grace before meals is an example)   Intercession-supplication  - Pls. help me understand, pls. help me get through; pls. help my...
One way to bring more scripture into your life (or family life) is to use the Lectionary. There is one online here,  http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ which gives the readings for every Sunday (Old Testament, Psalm, New Testament, & Gospel).   There will usually be at least something in the weekly readings that you might want to post or share w/ your family.   -----   Here are some of my favorites:   "There is  neither Greek no Jew, there is...
  We are 2 teens and 2 adults. We have a hamper in one of the bathrooms and a bucket in a cabinet in the kitchen. Everyone puts their clothes in either location when they are dirty.   We have a 6 kg washer and usually do 1 or two small loads a day. We will run a load in the evening and hang it up in the morning. Someone (usually me or DH) brings it down in the evening (usually after supper) and then everyone folds their own clothes. That means I end up folding the...
We don't have a dishawasher, but we do have a double-sink. The dish rack to the left of our the double-sink.  I usually wash in the right-hand-tub & rinse in the left-hand one and then put things in the drying rack.   On weekdays I empty it when I get home from work (it has the breakfast dishes) and then after the dinner dishes are done.  On the weekends I empty it in the middle of the day too. I will use a dish towel to dry things if they are still damp in the rack...
Another few suggestions:   1) Shower  or bathe at night.  - In my DH's culture and where I live it is most common to shower or bathe at night. It's thought to be relaxing before bed - shower, clean undies, jammies. That makes the morning routine more  relaxing too.   2) Bath instead of shower?  - Sometimes instead of shower, my kids like a relaxing bath. Bath salts or oils, nice book, it's a great way for anyone of any age to relax and get clean. Sometimes if...
My kids are still rather attached to their soft-toys. We culled some  when they were in the middle of primary school. They are both in secondary school now.  DD (14) has 3 still and she is very attached to them, although she now will leave them at home when we travel.   DS (12) - I'm not quite sure - I think 3 or 4. He is most attached to the snake. They keep them on their beds.   To avoid building up again. Don't buy any more and tell the relatives PLEASE not to...
Like others posting, we have limited cabinet space and some stuff we use daily. On the kitchen counters we have:   Dish drainer Hot water machine Coffee maker Microwave Knife block & cleaver cutting boards jars of spoons, spatulas, ladles, rice paddle, etc etc. rack holding the oil, soy sauce, salt, sugar, & corn starch Kettle On the window sill - knife sharpener, dish of current garlic head & ginger