or Connect

Posts by skreader

The various drafts of my thesis kept my family in scrap paper and drawing paper for years . Only this year (5 years after thesis submission) have we finally used it all up.  
After I mended the old pillow cases several times, I've "retired" them to gift-bag duty. They sit in my wardrobe and then I bring them out at X-mas and on birthdays for "wrapping".  
Doesn't seem so wacky  to me - pretty standard (re-use old bathing towels in kitchen). I don't even bother to hem them :)    I also re-purpose old shirts for dish-rags and cleaning rags. Every house should have a rag-bag. :)
Is this a "one off" incident (he said something mean in the heat of an argument)? Or is this a persistent problem? If it's a one-off incident, then I think that asking him to reflect and remember not to do such a thing again may be enough. If this is a persistent problem, then I think he needs to learn some impulse control skills. Teaching him to count to ten, teaching him to write things down at home to vent, etc. Maybe ask him what he thinks he could do to redress...
1) Speak to your daughter and see about talking to her teachers etc. about the bullying from the other girls. Work on getting that to STOP.   2) Concerns about the boyfriend - when does she see him? Under what circumstances? Have you shared your concerns with her? Have you spoken to him as well and asked him to help support your daughter emotionally in succeeding in school?   3) Make-up - like sex, I think talk about make-up between mothers and daughters is a...
It's good weather here nowadays, so no need for heat or aircon.   But, in the winter, when it gets down to about 15 (~ 59 F) we will often turn on the heaters when we are awake. My daughter's room is really cold sometimes (big window) so we sometimes do have a heater in there for when she sleeps - to keep it up to about 20 (68) In the summer, I try not to put on the a/c until indoor temperatures are above 28 C (~ 82 F), but that depends on the humidity and DH and...
I agree w/ Velochic - pack LIGHT. * Crackers or snacks that are acceptable to the kids. They might not like the plane food. *Books or paper and pens for drawing because it's often at least 20 or 30 minutes after take-off that the inflight entertainment begins. * Nappies and cleaning stuff for the BB. A clean shirt for you and set of clean clothes for the BB. * A book of nursery rhymes or songs for you to sing and entertain the baby Also, it's good to...
I live abroad and I find certain OTC medications that I am used to hard to find. 1) anti-itch cream (10% cortisone) that I use for bug bites and mild rashes. 2) Neosporin-type antibacterial topical cream. For some reason, this is not a commonly available thing in the drugstores here (don't know about Brazil) so I always stock up on a few tubes when I go the the USA 3) Benadryl (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride) - for some reason it's not commonly sold here. Also...
Two names can work out very well. My kids have both Chinese names (with variation based on whether we want to pronounce them in Cantonese or Mandarin) and European names. You can try to have them match in meaning. For example my son's names both are related to the meaning of laughter or joy. Names that might work in both cultures Girl names Abida Aana Ila Lata Pia Priya Reina or Reyna (means Queen) Rani Sara (diminutive...
I studied Mandarin for 3 years in college & lived in Taiwan for almost a year and now live in Hong Kong. I had previously studied French and Latin in high school. In grad school I studied German for reading purposes for two semesters. Learning spoken Mandarin is not that hard. I started to really recognize the tones in my second or third week. Even after all these years, I am reasonably conversational. For me, the hardest part was the reading and writing. So, if you...