or Connect

Posts by skreader

Quote: Originally Posted by jjawm or something completely normal?? (X-posted in blended families) I haven't said anything, as I'm not sure what is normal, what is not. I understand that he's in puberty, but is this a blended family issue, or a pre-teen normality, or a pre-teen problem? Hi I would *tend* to say normal, that he notice or look at your breasts. I have a son going on 12 and I think that he has started to notice women's figures...
Quote: Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree We use furoshiki. It's cloth wrapping that the Japanese use to carry all sorts of items. Here are some instructions . Thanks for posting that, it was very useful and informative! I especially want to try the bottles.
Since I moved around a lot in my 20s, up to my early 30s, almost all of the ornaments are wood, cloth, plastic, or metal. The very few ceramic or glass ones I pad in newspaper and put in a shoe-box. Then I put the shoebox and the non-breakable ornaments & the string of lights in a plastic box w/ a lid. The X-mas platters and plates, I pad w/ the X-mas dish towels & pot-holders and apron and put in another plastic box. The boxes then go on the bottom shelf of the wardrobe...
Quote: Originally Posted by One_Girl Dr. Sear's recommends gently squeezing and rubbing both sides of the nose from the top to the tip because children often pick their nose because something inside is irritating them. I taught my dd how to do this herself and it helps a lot. It could be that. Sometimes if it's quite dry that makes it irritable, so we would sometimes moisturize the inside of the nose. Another thing is it might be a form of...
Quote: Originally Posted by karne The Hobbit is a great read aloud! I agree. I read aloud The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and the Return of the King, as well as all the JK Rowling books (which was far less pleasant to read aloyd than Tolkien). Basically any book that your kid might enjoy reading, is a good candidate for reading aloud. I have also read aloud the the Percy Jackson series and am now am reading aloud...
My kids are older now, but when they were toddlers and fought or argued it was usually over a toy. So I would usually take the toy in question and remove it from both saying something along the lines of "Since you can't agree to share this toy, we'll put it away until you can play nicely with it". I would also separate them, usually just for a few minutes "If you can't play nicely together, then you have to split up" (put them in different corners for a bit). At the...
In English, I use Mr. or Ms. [Family name] unless the teacher tells me, "Call me [given name]" or signs themselves in an email [given name]. In Chinese, I used to call them [family name] lao-shi (teacher). For example, Qiao Laoshi.
My DD is 13 and has always been quite confident and continues to be so. I think part of it is just her nature (she's phlegmatic, she does well in sports and studies, and she has friends, although she's not in the most "popular" set at school). The best book I found for her to read was "Real Gorgeous" which we got when she was 12. But she is also a very mature girl for her age (other girls, it might be more appropriate at 13 or 14, or...
This is what I used to do. My kids are now 11 and 13. It's not U.P. Instead it's based on what I grew up w/ and from reading things like Dr. Sears "The Discipline Book". re: not touching stuff -if it's a store or other place where he or she was not to touch stuff, I would explain before going in and try having them keep their arms behind their backs (I would also do the same). I found this a useful strategy w/ my kids. Other stuff they shouldn't touch at home -...
Not "fantasy" but myths. These books have great pictures and my kids loved them from the age of 5 up until now (I enjoy them too, still). Each myth is a separate chapter. Some your child might not like immediately. Don' expect to read them like a chapter book - it's more for dipping into. 1) D' Aulaires Bookk of Greek Myths http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Gree.../dp/0440406943 2) D'Aulaire's Book of Norse...