or Connect

Posts by skreader

Quote: Originally Posted by Momily Oh, please please tell me where you got this! My son would love this for his birthday. Sorry for the late reply. I got it in a shop in HK called "Log-on" but googled it on the web. http://www.baronbob.com/nose-showergeldispenser.htm http://www.potpourrigift.com/itemdy0...T1=R85103#zoom
My DS is 11 going on 12 * 2 new pairs of trousers * new books (mostly SF) * a DVD or CD two * a nerf pistol (he begged) * a soap dispenser for the shower that is in the shape of a human nose and when you press it, the soap (greenish) comes out of a nostril. It is *extremely* gross and so I'm sure he'll love it and shower more enthusiastically.
What was the commitment when he joined the Jazz Band? A term, a year? In answer to "Why do I have to go?" you can say something like "Because you made a commitment to join". So, tell him he has to stick it out until the end of term (this month?) or the end of the school year (June?) - 6 more months. My son is 11 & has 2 after-school activities & home-work.
Quote: Originally Posted by Oonah maybe Pityriasis Alba? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_alba my son has this but his white patches are more visible in the summer when his skin is darker just a thought My kids had that a couple of times. The Dr. gave us a cream that took care of it.
When I was a kid I never liked playing w/ humanoid dolls in my dollhouse. They always looked ghastly. Instead, I would either play with and manipulate the furniture and scenes w/ no dolls (peopled the dollhouse in my imagination). I also had some fun using little mouse toys that had clothes on them (grey and brown if I remember). Or, you could get some wooden clothes pins and paint or decorate them to suit?
Dif. perspective I never skipped school or a class a single time, except for "Senior Skip Day" when all the seniors skipped together & went to another town to celebrate. I think that skipping school (or classes) is unacceptable in secondary school and should be avoided as much as possible in college. What's the old cliche "Half of life is showing up". So, if that happened to me, I would first make sure that my child had skipped (no mistake in the register). Then I...
I think kids *do* get more moody and difficult around this age, I've noticed it my son (11, almost 12) lately. re: fish-tank In your shoes, I would tell him "I can't do it this week, sorry. Let's plan on next week on such-and-such a date". And then, if he whines and complains, tell him just what you said here "When you whine and complain and sulk, I don't feel like doing favors for you." As for tying it into chores around the house... IMO, vacuuum and fish-tank...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mayrigah I am curious after seeing this mentioned in the soup thread. Do any of you , or anyone in your family or communities, practice a "rooming in" or period of confinement with the newborn? Were you ever told why? What was your rationale? What's the ethnic/geographic/religious/generational background, if you'd be willing to share. In HK, some women take it very seriously, the usual period of confinement is 1...
Quote: Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere oh i love this thread. slightly OT, I also plan on wearing a harimaka/belly band to make sure my kidney/adrenal area is kept warm at all times and basically avoid all 'cold' temperament foods and cold temperatures. Some women take the issue of warming very seriously and avoid bathing in the first several days, or even longer; or avoid washing their hair during this time. Others will wash, but only...
Quote: Originally Posted by eepster I would think it was more likely related to women not going out with the baby during it's first month in traditoinal Chinese culture and ladies not going out during late pregnancy in traditional English culture, a period of time that was referred to as "her confinement" by the English. Hi eepster, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I said "best matches" - not "is identical to". re: whether...