or Connect

Posts by skreader

Do not own or drive a car (I know, easier  said than done in most of North America)
We mute the TV when they come on.   We sometimes talked about how the advertiser is trying to manipulate the viewers & ask what the kids thought   Now that the kids are older, they (and I) often  mock the commercials and the different anxieties, fears, and hopes they are playing on
Being a parent has made me aware of how weak and full of anger and helplessness I can be; I never knew I had such a capacity for rage (the joy, I was not surprised by); it has made me humble;  and giving these "hostages to fortune" has made more aware how contingent and precarious life is. These were gifts I was not expecting when we decided to become parents.
No reason I can think of, except for possible damage to the toy itself, or the possibility of the small bits and pieces coming off and blocking the drain.   But, they don't float well, and they are not very good for pouring, so they are not the first toys I would think to put into the tub w/ my kids. 
My kids call me Mama and their father Baba. They are teens now - I don't imagine that this will change, unless we some day become grandparents and we hear them referring to us in the 3rd person as "Grandma X" or "Grandpa Y".   I have no problem w/ other people having their own kids call them by their given names. I called my beloved step-father by his given name and I loved and respected him as much as my father who I called Dad. 
Agree there's no need to label *everything *and stick it all in boxes.   For example, the plates go on the plate shelf, no need for labels or boxes. Same w/ wine glasses vs. coffee mugs.   However, in the linen closet, I do find it helpful to put a label on some of the shelves "single bed sheets" "Queen bed sheets" - because it helps to remind me & the rest of the family where things should go and where to look for them. In the same closet there is no need to...
  No, I don't think it would be something I would be interested in. I feel very little need or desire for "new meal ideas every night". I think my family does well w/ a rotation of about 10 to 15 meals that my DH & I know how to cook without recipes and we have cookbooks & the internet to find stuff for ourselves.   Left-overs are also important in oyr family, so almost every supper = next day's lunch.   I also wonder about the price-point -  20 USD for a meal for 4...
I'm in favor of your idea of "... make it a plain ol' lets-just-eat-together-catch-up-and-eat-cake."   After all it is Thanksgiving Day and your child will only be one year old.   Have everyone gather and sing "Happy Birthday" and ask the participants to speak their blessing or wish for your child. Then (if it's not against your religious principles) put a candle on a cake, cup-cake, or muffin or loaf of bread and help the b-day boy blow it out. Then relax & chat...
Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry in Japan has a list of radiation levels in food:   http://www.maff.go.jp/e/quake/press_110312-1.html: http://www.maff.go.jp/e/seisan/index.html   For example: Results of inspections on radioactivity levels in livestock products (Meat and Hen Eggs: last updated on January 24, 2013,  Milk and Milk Products: last updated on August 8, 2013)     An...
It's all based on culture and when teaching "manners" or politeness, one must be very aware of one's cultural context.   I grew up calling my parents friends by their first names, but also used a default "Mr. last name or Ms. last name" unless I was introduced to the person as "first name" or  invited to call them by their first name after I called them "Mr. or Ms.". All my teachers in school were Mr., Mrs., or Ms. "Mrs. Chadwick, Mr. McGartey, Ms.Cole".   I grew...