or Connect

Posts by skreader

Important things I taught my kids   * Greeting people - especially neighbors, people who work around the apartment complex, and teachers   * Waiting in line (no queue jumping), waiting for people to get off the bus or exit the train before getting on.   * Saying please and thank you.   * Chewing w/ mouth closed, napkin in lap, small bites.   * When serving yourself from communal dish,     don't pick it over to find the tidbits you want     don't...
Don't wear makeup or jewelry (except a wristwatch). Never did. So my "routine" is the same as before kids.
No shoes inside, but usually slippers. We have a shoe case and a shoe shelf at the entrance to our flat.   Rules about shoes? No putting shoes on an eating surface.   Going outside barefoot - going to the apartment's swimming pool - OK - but elsewhere, they have to wear shoes. We live in a big city and it's not very safe or hygienic to go around barefoot.
One family's "strict rules for petty things" may be another family's "clear and transparent guidelines for anxiety free living".   My kids are now in their teens. If I think about it, we have a lot of "rules"/guidelines: regular bedtimes, regular wake-up times. School bags prepared the night before; come to the supper table when called, with clean hands, turn off lap-tops when asked; etc. During school holidays, it's expected that the kids have a 1/2 hour of exercise...
Although you are responsible for cooking, he is an adult, and unless he thinks there is a problem and wants to fix it, I think you might be setting up a difficult dynamic.   Have you asked him what he thinks about his eating and health? Does *HE* think he eats too many sweets & cookies? Does he want to eat more protein?   People do change, when DH and I first married, he did not like to eat beans much. Now he buys and cooks them himself. :)   In terms of...
I prize making things easy.  So my kids' packed lunches are almost always the previous night's supper. We usually make supper with that in mind.  If my kids don't eat their lunch, I sometimes ask why & then ask for their suggestions.   Things are easier now they are in high school. They have pocket $, some of which can go to school lunches - but they like to save that $$$ and eat the lunches I make, even if they are not the "tastiest"  - they are free. :)
Hi Notamaom,   A lot of depression and self-hurting behavior is unacknowledged or suppressed anger.  So, I would advise you to allow yourself to see feel angry at times, and try to direct it outward - who are you angry with?   I think that the pain and anger and depression are also a result of your oppression as a woman, and as a lesbian woman. I can't tell you that the oppression and pain are not there, but I can say that if you see your situation as not...
After my step-dad mowed the front lawn, my sibs and I would create nests for the croquet balls and pretend to be birds.   Going blue-berry picking   Making cities in the sandbox and flooding them.   Later  childhood - spending lots of time reading in my room
Growing up in New England, we had a bread box.   Living in Hong Kong, in the summer our bread can start to grow mold overnight, so I keep it in the fridge.  
BTDT   My DD started to take a public bus to school when she was 11. First day, DH took her on it.  Second day, DH told her to walk ahead and he remained about 10 feet behind, so she could "solo" under observation.  They did that a couple more times and then we asked if she was comfortable going by herself, and she said she was.   Later, when I was hearing tales from my friends whose kids were taking the school bus to school, I was glad she was on a public bus w/...