or Connect

Posts by skreader

I think an important part of making and retaining friendships is to be open to not doing it one's own way.   So, I follow Erogeron's practice. If the bulk of people that I come into contact with and perhaps wish to befriend use Facebook, then I'll  grit my teeth and make an account and use it in a simple and utilitarian way.   Also, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they don't talk because they are shy, so I try to think of things to...
I raised my kids with my own beliefs about g-d, and souls. My beliefs and practices are an intergal part of who I am, so it would be false to do otherwise. If I were an atheist, I guess I would have raised my kids that way.   That did not mean I kept them ignorant of other religions and practices. My mom  & step-dad are/were very religious Episcopalians; my dad and step-mom are agnostic/atheists; my m-i-l practices traditional Chinese religion; we live in a city...
In a flea market:   1) Price to sell  - I usually have one price for hard-covers and one price for paperbacks and offer marked discounts for bulk purchase (e.g. 1 dollar for hard-covers & 2 dollars for 3; paper backs 50 cents each, 3 for a dollar)   2) Put similar books together (sci-fi w/ sci-fi; cookbooks w/ cook-books; etc.)   3) Offer book advisory "Want a book, what type of thing do you like to read"?  and try to match to your stock.This can be hard...
Before the sale   1) Define success to yourself.  Is this to get rid of stuff, or to make money?Will you be happy to sell stuff, no matter how low the price? Try to achieve clarity on this.    2) Pricing issues * Price to sell (as Katelove mentioned) * CLEARLY marked prices.  I liked Katelove's suggestion of dif priced tables. When I sell, we have only a single table, so I use stick-notes & tape to clearly mark things. * Consider bulk pricing ( e.g....
Tonight:   * Falafel    * Ground soy-bean, bulgur, tomatoes & cheese casserole from the 1st Moosewood book      * Green salad   DH mentioned making the onion, minced pork & egg thing the kids like, too   That will likely be  tomorrow night's menu as well. :)
My kids get pocket money.  My kids do regular chores (vacuum, dust, tidy, wash dishes, clean own rooms, bring in laundry, etc.). The pocket money & the regular chores are not related.   We do pay for extra-special household work. For example, cleaning the over thoroughly is worth ~ USD 7.00.  Doing a "deep clean" of the kitchen or batheroom (taking everything out of the cabinets, washing the cabinets & under the sink, tidying and washing those items that need it;...
Although many people read it when their kids are younger, I found that re-reading "How to talk so your kids will listen, how to listen so your kids will talk" was very valuable. I think Faber & Mazlish have a special one for teens as well.   When I was a teenager, back in the 70s, my parents had "T.A. for Teens" in the house - I read it myself & it was informative for me to understand myself, as well as (I guess) my parents. We never discussed it formally, but...
Espadrilles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espadrille     Or, google the following words, combined with "retail" or "catalog"   "cloth shoes"   "canvas shoes"   "straw shoes"   "wooden shoes"  or "wooden clogs"
Leftovers? Never dreaded them.   They usually become lunch the next day, or return for supper the day after.   Bits and pieces of things can become part of a sauce or stir fry or stew.
I would hard boil eggs, remove the yolk & mush it up w/ a bit of water & spoon feed the baby. I'd eat the white myself.   Yeah, they liked it fine. My kids loved to eat as babies. Things only got a bit difficult when they were about 2 or 3. Now they are teens and things are easier again.