or Connect

Posts by skreader

Different children have different needs as they grow.   DD when she was about 10 needed almost no input of management of her homework. DS still needed it until he was almost 14, and I still keep an eye out (just turned 15).   From 11 (start of secondary school) they could decide how to get to school - 2 buses (transfer) or 1 bus + share a taxi.  We gave them aset amount of pocket money to pay for transport & sundries and they could decide how to spend...
I agree w/ DHinJersey that  you should consider getting  rid of the animals. She needs to keep her animals clean and cared for and if she doesn't you will have to give them away/take them to an animal shelter. Ir is unhygienic and cruel to keep them in dirty cages. If she is so busy w/ school and work commitments to keep them properly, then she has no business keeping them.   I agree w/ Linda that she probably needs a list of things to remind her to clean & that...
I would suggest to OP to be slightly less "a purist".  If she says "Say [desired word or phrase] in  English" - maybe just say it in English, then say it again in Arabic and add something like " English is OK, but I really enjoy speaking to you in my mother-tongue!".  (or our mother tongue). Have you asked her "Why do you want me to say it?".   Also, be patient and remember this is for the long haul. Also, life is long. Kids can really enjoy knowing which of their...
My suggestions are pretty short. Maybe you can indulge your desire for a longer/frillier name w/ the middle name?   I checked some ideas here: http://www.modernindianbabynames.com/namesearch   Tara?   It's both a common Irish-American name and an Indian girl's name.   Sara? Also common name in the USA and is also a Hindi girl's name   Ela?  [to make the spelling more English, spell it Ella?]   Uma? Uma Thurman the actress made that name more...
Hi Amie,   Sounds like you're working things out. I too sometimes have to tell my hubby I just need him to *listen* to me, hug me, and say that he loves me and there is NO need to try and fix things.   That said. maybe you and DH can work on a schedule. I know that I used to come home from work sooner that DH and when he vgot home, I immediately wanted to *talk* and share and be adults together. It took me a while to realize that he needed de-compression time...
Chocolate has caffeine & usually also sugar - so no, not a huge nutritional boost. But, it's not cyanide either. I think my kids 1st had chocolate when they were toddlers, as a treat (maybe around X-mas or Chinese New Year).  
One thing that helps is to hang out with lots of mothers of boys. My DS (now 15) was quite a handful when he was younger. I remember bringing him over to visit my aunt and uncle w/ some of the other cousins when he was about 5. He was zooming here and there, being more wild than I had hoped.   My aunt (who had raised 3 boys and also was a special needs teacher) said to me with a smile when I was making some sort of apology "He's 100% boy!".  I think that she meant...
Hi Amie,   I'm not HS nor are my kids, but I wanted to respond to your words:   " I can't reverse time, but I definitely hope I can get past my own "selfish" needs for space and distance or find better ways to get that without ever shutting others out."   I want to say that your and your husband's need for space or distance is not "selfish", if it is a true need.  Everyone has a different temperament, and it sounds like you and your DH may have a greater need...
I don't know about the Afghan context, but in HK and China - if jewelry - make it solid gold (999 gold= 24 carat) if you can manage it.  I think better some small, real solid-gold items for your sister-in-law and niece than larger gold-plated  pieces.   I don't know whether silver would be appreciated, but if giving silver, I suggest make it sterling.  
2 suggestions:   1) Sandwich - wrapped in a piece of paper     Apple and/or orange     cookies or other treat   2) Cornish pasty  or Calzone or Pierogi     Apple and/or orange     cookies or other treat   Place in paper bag