or Connect

Posts by outlawmama

Howdy! I'm still nursing my 2.5 yr old and am going to med school full time. He was 20 months when I began school. I don't pump--he's plenty old to eat what everyone else is eating at home while I'm gone. We nurse in the morning, and when I get home, and before bed, and once during the night. Nursing keeps us connected. I went back to school part time (3 days a week) when my dd (who's now 7 yrs old) was 6 months old. I pumped the first month because I was becoming...
Gagesmom-- Just for the record, the first thing we did with our son was take him to the pediatricain and our naturopath--both who said this was chronic constipation, give more fluids, not uncommon with little kids, etc,etc. At least the naturopath was able to recommend a homeopathic remedy that helped some. Juniper
My son has this EXACT same problem! He's 21 months, and has been crying while pooping for about a month. I did some research--you need to check out this link: http://my.webmd.com/encyclopedia/article/3609.5009 With your recent move, it might be enough of a stress to have caused him to get into a cycle of chronic constipation, basically where a child has one or two big, painful poops and then is scared of pooping, and so holds it and holds it until they can't, and...
I know you posted this a long time ago, but I just happened upon it and had to respond. I know it's a serious topic, but I totally laughed out loud when I read it because my daughter does the EXACT same thing. She has no other concept of anything "sexual" in terms of her genitalia--the only thing she knows happens is birth (I gave birth to her brother a year ago--she is 5)--she has been really fascinated by birth since then, and now plays the "birthing game" where she...
My dd who just turned six, and her best friend who is 5 and also a boy, began about a year ago to explore each others bodies--they'd go into the bathroom or bedroom, shut the door, and then come out a bit later. Well, we caught on pretty darn fast, and gave the speech about how are bodies are our own, that these parts are very special because they lead into our bodies and it's important to respect them and treat them healthfully, etc.etc.etc. I had a heart to heart with my...
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This is just what I wanted to hear. I *knew* that the ten hour before and after thing was fishy--y'all just confirmed what I knew in my heart to be true.
Hello! We've been traveling the past few weeks and I have been dying to get to a computer to ask this question! My ds, 18 mo, goes in this Tuesday for a pulpectomy, two crowns and a filling and four sealants. He is going to be sedated. Needless to say, we're totally freaked out, but we really like our dentist and know this needs to be done. My big question is: we were told NO bf 10 hours before the procedure and 10 hours after the procedure. What are people's thoughts on...
Thanks again for your reply, Squirrelnutkin! I 'm feeling like going exactly the route that you have suggested--we are going to have his teeth worked on; the decay is just spreading too fast. But we are also going to start becoming super diligent about brushing rinsing after anything goes in his mouth. I'll probably try cutting down the number of nursings, but not too many--he just emotionally needs it so much still, and I am really beginning to believe that while the...
Has anyone nominated you for sainthood yet? What an incredible thing you do by offering us your time and knowledge. Thank you!!! And now, I have a question. I brought my ds(17 mo) to our ped dentist today to check on some previously superficial decay--unfortunately, my worst fears were confirmed and it has been recommended that he have a pulpectomy on one tooth and a crown, another crown on another tooth, and a filling on another. These are his top front teeth. I...
Thanks for your reply, smilemomma. Everything you wrote is what I had thought to be true, but then I became so confused by my sister's story. Why, given everything you wrote, would a dentist NOT fix tooth decay on milk teeth? I mean, my sister's teeth were, like I said, little brown nubs by the time she was five and started to lose them, and the decay had been very noticeable since the time she was three. This was in the late eighties. The only thing I can think, is...