or Connect

Posts by amlikam

I am here too, I didn't want to start the thread but was looking for it :-) Been busy with work, pregnancy, family, sacred ritual work last 2 weekends (ahhhhh) and not feeling the spiraling for solstice! (and christmas, we do both).   Conflicted with joy and sadness this year. Excited to be in a love/joy phase but kind of missing my dad who passed in October. This month has my Mom's birthday on Solstice (who passed when I was young) and my Dad's the day after...
Yeah babysmurf, I still feel that way overall. And I am happy to be in the place of being ok affording this. I feel like I spent so little on my wedding (9 yrs ago) that this splurge for something I know I will remember the rest of my life, seem so worth it. I know a woman who is still paying off her homebirth from 5 yrs ago but tells me she woudl have it no other way, even if she is living paycheck to paycheck. Most midwives I know will work to make it happen if you...
My insurance wont pay for midwifery care either but last time with my daughter we ended up paying $2000+ for her birth because she was premature and had 2 non-well child stays. ugh. but this time I am hoping my model of care will help me to keep this babe in for longer. And it doesn't hurt that my midwife is a dear friend so paying that kind of cash is worth it when I know she is worth her weight in gold already.   However I am looking into seeing if the...
Please update my EDD (or guess date) to June 15th
I met with my midwives this Monday and really LOVED having that time to really connect with being pregnant. It wasn't feeling real, really until then. Just a few weeks until my next appointment and already I am wicked excited. Time is flying, I cannot believe I am in the 2nd trimester!!!!
      From my experience the less technology a hospital has the less they are inclined to want to use. The hardest part of my experience was postnatal care of my newborn. I would make sure you have a great peditrician with hospital rights. AND to room in (which it seems is in your plan). As a doula you can say no to things, it is just hard so make sure your partner knows how to advocate for you here. Best of luck.
I am still shocked at how insurance wont cover HB. Golly! But at the same time I am glad because it means midwives practice for the love and not the insurance payout. But as a consumer I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for the insurance to cover HB. My deductible is high and with my first one I ended up paying almost as much as a homebirth. As a doula, I see the value of a homebirth. I always tell women, even if they know the answer - to call and ask the insurance company if...
I am planning a homebirth though I am waiting to hear back from my 1st choice midwife practice to see if they would like to take me on as a client. (I am at the edge of their distance/travel range and have some different risks with the bicornuate uterus.) They said they will let me know this week... I am sooooo nervous, feels like asking someone out in highschool and waiting for the note back that will say "of course I wont" - but I am really hoping for a "we'd love to...
My midwife was more concerned with the aresnic in the rice than the raw fish!  ahhhh the toils of our world. Now I have a wicked hankering for sushi.
Anyone else planning a homebirth yet?   Or want to know more information?