or Connect

Posts by BubbeSue

I lurke, but I loved participating in the informal, anonymous gift giving to moms in need on this board. Are you guys doing it again this year? I would love to send gifts again this year if it is something you are doing.
My heart totally breaks for your DD. I really think bedtime is a wash. DS will need you for a long time to come. IIWY, I would let Daddy take over that time. It could be a special time for him and DD to bond. BUT you need to make some time for DD, just you and her. A special date once per week (at least) to go for lunch on a Saturday or something else you will both enjoy... but go without DS. Leave him home with Dad or get a sitter. Your DD needs you, especially now as...
Quote: Originally Posted by confustication It sounds like your husband is pretty in tune with what's really best for his son. In a scenario like that, sending him to live with his mom is an absolute setup for failure. I'd just take it one day at a time. It sounds like your stepdaughter has been a huge help to you, and that's kind, but not something you should depend on to keep from being overwhelmed, it really isn't fair to her to have to shoulder a...
I see this was posted a while back... Can I ask if you ended up getting one and if so what kind? Are you happy with it? I was thinking of the Brother LB6770PRW because it is affordable. I just want something to play around with. For me, it would be a hobby, not a business.
Yes. $500 is my top of my budget. This is a new hobby for me, not a home business, so I can't justify spending more than that. I would consider a used machine if the person selling it to me was willing to tell me why they were selling (i.e. not because it broke down and is not able to be fixed. I would not be able to tell that because I don't know much about them. I would also want them to be willing to answer questions I might have in the month or so after I bought it...
I want to buy an embroidery machine to make things and be able to monogram them for DD and to make things for family and friends. I am a basic sewer, but I can follow a pattern, cut out the fabric and sew it together. I am thinking of making simple things like Christmas stockings, play aprons, tote bags, maybe a baby blanket quilt. I know what will make me really have fun with it is the embroidery part of it. I was thinking of buying this machine,...
Quote: Originally Posted by queenjane With my agency, we have a foster unit, and an adoption unit, the child does not get transferred until they are made a state ward (TPR occurs). We do not have "foster to adopt" (an official "track" where kids are placed in preadoptive homes while still a foster child), though it seems that is done unofficially. In my state, if you want to adopt-only (only consider kids who are legally free), you can do that, and dont...
Quote: Originally Posted by mybabysmama We decided against adopting via the foster care system for four reasons... Personally, I am not interested in re-visiting the infant years. I also have no desire to breastfeed anyone. I like the idea of adopting a child who might not otherwise find a home, and most of those children seem to be in foster care, so adoption through foster care sounds like a better fit for my family. I'm glad you found...
Wow! Thanks for the long and informative reply! I hadn't really thought of the fact that most foster to adopt cases don't end in adoption. Wow. Ok. Just thinking about it, it seems that foster parents are giving a bigger gift to their foster kids than I am to my DD. I emotionally invest in DD, and I get to see her grow up and be in her life and get love and hugs. Foster parents are asked to invest emotionally with no guarentees that they will ever see those DC become the...
We are thinking about this for the future. I like the idea of adopting out of foster care because there are kids in need of homes right in my own community. But at the same time, I know we are not prepared to take on severely medically fragile or emotionally disturbed children. It makes me feel like a bad person because I know if my birth child was born with these issues, we would not give her up. Does anyone have any experience navigating the complexity of thoughts and...