or Connect

Posts by AlicesMama

Well, just for the record, I paced in and out, brushing my teeth, saying "I'll be right back, go to sleep" etc and she seemed fine with it. Didn't cry once. I can't believe it! I have made sure every night of doing this that she is REALLY tired and physically exhausted. And it seems to have gone pretty well so far. I am wondering if the difference is because I am going backwards and forwards and the light is on outside so she can still see everything. It made me hunt...
I am now at the door of my DD's room at bedtime's sitting there, reading a book while she falls asleep. I'd quite like to do the "I'll be right back" thing. She's only 22 months so still not understanding everything I say. Is it too early to try this? How long do you step away for, 2 seconds and then reappear? Is that not quite disruptive? Do you let them cry, at all? Also, does this eventually help with the night-waking? She still wakes up at least once a night and...
Wow, I find that really shocking that a ped would say no tooth paste. Perhaps there is different guidance from the US dental regulator about babies' teeth, but here in the UK we are all issued with pamphlets about using a baby toothpaste (specially made for years 0 to 3 with a good level of flouride) and told to brush twice a day, even when there are no teeth!!! Yes, really!!! http://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/aquaf...aste_0-3_years maybe they sell it in the USA? I...
If you didn't use a fluoride toothpaste until now then I would think that would be the cause for the decay. We would all have decay if we didn't use fluoride toothpaste. Could you brush twice a day? Why only once? My Mum's a dentist, has been the last 40 years, just retired and she said the use of fluoride has completely changed dentistry. She still sees cavitities but nowhere near the quantity she used to due to fluoride in the toothpaste. Anyway, wishing you...
Dr Sears has something to say about Goats Milk. Perhaps you have already read it, but just in case: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032400.asp I do think he's pretty wise and I have never had to question if I think he's got another agenda, he just seems educated and has the best interests of the baby at heart. My DD is now 22 months and still wakes up once a night. We night-weaned at 12 months as DD had a bad silent reflux and the endless digestion of feeding back...
Yes, I would go for night-weaning too at 3am. He probably would like to sleep longer but just doesn't know how to do it without the boobie Yes he will scream for the first few times, but it sounds like he's very bright and will quickly learn that it's possible to fall asleep without the breast. And for him it may even be something of a relief. I sometimes think these kids are as frustrated with it all as we are and yet we are the only ones that can actually do...
Thanks for the answers - it's nice to know other kids have done the same thing. Yes she doesn't get upset that much either if a toy is taken from her, though she used to but then seemed to accept that it gets taken away and she just moves on. Perhaps I find it odd because I'm a second child who had an older brother who was constantly taking toys off me, and fighting me, so I was very vocal and tried to get them back with fighting etc. It's just surprised me to see such...
DD who is 17 months often spends afternoons in the park with many of her toddler friends of a similar age. When it comes to 'sharing' a toy, she never, ever, ever wins and always the other child gets it if no one intervenes. These days she just runs away and doesn't even have a go at holding onto it. I am worried as to why she doesn't fight a little for the toy. Sometimes she will run to me and bury her head in my legs/knees. I know this is the complete...
Thanks for the nice idea. She also LOVES bouncing around on the bed and playing with her toy tiger, so we might try a bit of that and see if that helps. I guess they just don't want to stop playing as life is so exciting at that age! Whilst I am ready to give up the nursing to sleep, I am missing it because it was so quick - like 5 minutes and she was asleep. Now the tossing and turning can go on for 40 minutes. It just seems to take her so long to calm down and...
We have gone from blissful, easy bed-times to suddenly 2 hour long sessions for getting DD to sleep. It started 4 nights ago. I turned off the tele, the tears started. I helped her towards the stairs, the screaming went up a few decibels. Then we got upstairs and I put up the gate and she screamed and screamed and screamed. Initially I thought she was hurt so picked her up, but eventually I realised she just didn't want to go to bed. Tonight has been the worst...