or Connect

Posts by Mainstream Hippie

Regarding food, they will tell you you "can't" have it, but I cannot imagine them taking it away? I was only there for 1.5 hrs before my daughter was born, so didn't need to eat there. Had applesauce and yogurt and a banana at home while I labored. And a full lunch at the start of labor. I did drink gatorade, which they eyed, but no one said anything.
Or even if it is allowed or if this is the right area (figured it is the right age range!), but regarding MMR/separated vaccines: From my pediatrician's lobby: To anyone who is concerned about the MMR separated vaccines not being available to parents: You should call 1-800-672-6372 to request that the company continue to make the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella separate for those who want their child/children to continue to receive these vaccines in this manner. Please...
Ball, they'd stop you at the door with it. You'd have to bring it in, deflated, in your bag, and inflate it there. And have a waiver on hand. Standard is that no hospitals here offer them, and I think none specificallly alllow them. There was a lawsuit a few years back when a laboring mom's 4 year old child was playing with their birth ball and rolled off it into a cabinet or something. They claim it isn't allowed for mom's safety, though. No tubs. You can labor in the...
I had great nurses for my St. Luke's birth. They accepted a copy of my birth plan, and, because of time, asked for the gist of it. I said, unmedicated, low-intervention, don't do anything to her before asking me. They were very respectful and awesome. My OB sucked, unfortunately. But the nurses were great. (Dr. VS, Dr. S, and Evelyn are great, though.) I have heard occasional stories of a bad apple, someone rude or uninterested in supporting a natural birth, but they...
We usually only notice places when they are rude and in violation of the law. Most places don't seem to notice/ care when I settle in to nurse on the go. But yesterday I had such a great experience with a local business owner, I wanted to share. On our way to the beach at Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach intersection, my big kids had to use the restroom. I sized up local shops on the strip, and decided on Lee's Ice Cream as being most likely to have a public bathroom and...
Quote: Originally Posted by e(Lisa)beth My first recommendation for a hospital birth is always A Place for Women, Dr. Kimberly Van Scriver's practice. They deliver at The Family Birth Place at St. Luke's. There is a midwife on staff, Evelyn Brady, and she does do deliveries, but whether she will be at your birth specifically depends on whether she is on call at the time. For this reason the two doctors (the other is Dr. Slade) and Evelyn rotate...
My list was something like, Take a shower. Eat. Call husband if he isn't here. Call midwife. Call doulas. Pick up kids if they aren't here. Pull out birth supplies. Change into labor clothes. Drink! Pee! Make birth bed (was occupied, so did not do- made a "birth couch" instead. ). Move coffee table out of the way. Lay out shower curtain, bring wooden chair from kitchen over. Turn on heating pad for receiving blankets. Turn on music. Take pictures. Fill tub (didn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by mellowyellowmama In the linked article. I think above the cord suggestion? I agree it is worth questioning, HP; I just don't personally find the linked article convincing, and have prior to this thread, never heard an argument against (delayed) cord clamping outside of lotus birth. *shrug*
Quote: Originally Posted by HennyPenny ok found it.... Why not to clamp/tie a cord. Hmm. She also talks about how sex during pregnancy leads to the baby becoming sexually precocious. Not sure I am convinced of her ability to speak as an authority on matters of health and well-being.
Hey Cee! Welcome.