or Connect

Posts by Just My Opinion

My birthing experience was awesome. Besides being immensely spiritually rewarding and empowering, it now and will always remain the touchstone of my reasoning why I am allowed to do whatever it is I damn well please so long as it isn't hurting anyone else. The sentence, "I brought forth human life through my vagina without any pain relief in my own living room" has been the beginning of many a sentence ending with any variation of: "so yes, I am doing that." or "so,...
I am extremely confident in my parenting, which is awesome for me, dh, and dd, but seems to be a turn-off to some other people. There is a sort of mommy-martyrdom that goes on a lot, and if you say, "nah, I don't feel guilty, I feel like an awesome mama" -- it sort of feels to them like you are saying you are better than them, or something? Which is funny, I tell people -- if you went to interview a surgeon or lawyer and they were like, "meh, I guess I am okay. I make a...
n/m
Well, I wasn't overreacting LOL She came over, and I made it clear I expected her to stay (in a subtle way). The entire time she talked about how much work she had to do, all ((((sigh)))) and whatnot. It was very clear she expected me to say "Oh leave your dd here!" -- and ya' know what? Had she dropped the passive/aggression and hint-dropping and just asked, I may have (although we are barely aquaintances). Our visit was pleasant enough, but I do think she was upset...
Why tell your kid's gender when you can make them a worldwide human social experiment? I mean...how important is a penis or vagina, really, when book deals can be made? Way to subvert the dominant paradigm. Nothing says child advocate more than inviting the world to speculate endlessly on your child's genitals, talking to the press about it, conducting human, non-consensual social experiments, and most likely, eventually profiting (financially) from all of it
Disengaging now
...and I disagree. Either you are doing something or you are not doing something. The difference is, you obviously believe something can't be counted as a "do" unless it is done to the specifications you've defined. Enter the word try. A sort of insurance policy that even if you wind up "not doing" or "failing", you're still a swell, worthwhile person, because hey, you tried!! Yay! I am worthwhile even when I have not done. Even when I have "failed". I am okay with...
The bottom line regarding "try" is that some people need the word "try" to insulate themselves from the possibility that they may fail, or as a comfort to themselves when they fail. "Well, I tried! That is what matters!" I am not afraid of "failing", nor am I afraid of "not doing". I just don't need the word "try" to cushion what is apparently a paper-thin self esteem that needs a lot of stroking to be okay with not accomplishing what one sets out to do. I think enough...
Quote: Originally Posted by IncaMama because it's such a loaded word. it can contain so much more negativity than other words i could use to describe the same thing. imagine a life full of those unexpected results. you could spend your life with an internal dialogue that says i failed but i learned something new i failed but i learned something new i failed but i learned something new i failed but i learned something new i failed but i learned...
Someone is clearly not "trying". Had to.