or Connect

Posts by heidi526

I don't think people object to infant travel systems, which is what I think you are referring to. They object to people who leave their kids in them for hours and hours and hours. I had one of those for my girls when they infants. It was great cause when they fell asleep in the car, you could bring them inside without waking them. It was also good when we were in the grocery store and they were too young to sit up. I would just set the seat in the cart and off we...
No judge is going to care about whether or not you make your kids wear socks. If they didn't have shoes and it was cold, that would be a different story, but socks -- give me a break. Let him complain. He can buy the kids socks if he wants them to wear socks.
The Court will presume that you are earning what you could earn at a regular job working 40 hours a week, without travel (i.e. $40,000). Then, it will put that income into a diode program (also known as a child support calculator), along with his income and the distribution of time between the parents. Out will pop a number and that is the amount he will have to pay. You can usually get the program online. Just google "child support calculator" and the name of your...
Quote: Originally Posted by MuslimMama Ok, I will be the first to say there are very positive things about it... but for the most part it gets on my nerves! My in-laws are from India. DH was not raised there so him and I are both pretty culturally neutral. I never hated it before they came to live with me and now I DESPISE IT!!!! ESPECIALLY when it comes to DS. They are constantly praising how "fair" his skin is, telling him that he will be a doctor or...
Have you thought maybe the grandma told the kid this so that she didn't feel different to the rest of her mother's family. I understand that maybe there has been other things that have gone on that lead you to not give this woman the benefit of the doubt, but I don't find it that disturbing. It is odd and I wouldn't have addressed concerns about differing looks by telling a child this, but I don't think the girl will be traumatized by it. Why don't you just tell the...
Quote: Originally Posted by joates what are mongolian spots? I'm black and have never ever in my life heard this term. Joates, Mongolian spots are dark markings that some babies get on their rear end. They usually go away by the kids second birthday. They are common amongst children of Asian, Latino, and American Indian ancestry as they are a trait that has been passed down by the Mongolian people. I have never heard of black people,...
I would just caution you to make sure that you understand all the legal ramifications of sponsoring someone if you decide to go that route. You are making a financial commitment and if it doesn't work out, it could be very expensive. At the very least, go through an agency. Let the agency sponsor the person and make sure that if you end up having to let this person go that you will not have any additional liability. Frankly, I would talk to some of your Indian...
I agree with GoBecGo, a DNA test is probably your best bet. Both of my half-asian children have light brown hair, dark eyes and mongolian marks, but neither of them looks as Asian as the Gosselin kids. My youngest is nearly as fair as I am and I'm mostly Irish. Given the fact that both fathers are probably mixed, the child could be pretty much any combination. However, the fact that she doesn't have any mongolian marks lends me to think she belongs to the African...
I don't think this is a cultural issue. I know many college educated Indian women that stay home with their kids and no one thinks anything of it. I also know lots of white women that complain that their husbands/in laws want them to go back to work.
There is not a whole lot you can do about it. You cannot control other people. My in laws have never spoken to me and they refuse to acknowledge our children, so we just don't see them. It is hard on my husband, after all they are his parents and no matter how big jerks they are, he still loves them. It is tough on the marriage, but we manage. My kids are still little. It will be interesting to see what happens when they start asking questions, like "why isn't...