or Connect

Posts by Shera971

I would agree that parents are not immune to learning/teaching and of course making mistakes (of which I've made many). If I need time to 'cool off' I definitely take it, if I think I've made a mistake I apologize. Sometimes my son will say something that will make me re-evaluate my thoughts on a situation. However, I respectively disagree in regards to an atmoshphere of equality. In our house everyone's feelings are important but there is a definite hierarchy:...
My DS started riding a big wheel type around 2 years. For his birthday this year he really wanted a "big boy bike" so we got a two wheeler with training wheels. I would definitely recommend a three wheeler first while you son learns about steering and pedalling. They're not as fast and definitely not as easy to tip over. The biggest learning curve my son had between the two is that the three wheeler had the pedals in front while the "real" bike had them underneath the...
I've been using time outs since DS was about 18 months. Mostly because we have a large dog that we adopted a few years ago which I suspect was abused by previous owners. He is patient and tolerant with DS but he does have his limits. I wanted my son to learn very early the rules with the dog - no hitting, pulling fur/ears/tail, crawling on him, stay away from food dishes and bed especially. We use it for other things as well but that was the driving factor. When we...
That sounds a little like my situation. I am a very quiet person, more of a listener than a talker. My son on the other hand, once he gets going OIY! LOL I admit that some days I tell him "Mommy is going to have some quiet time. You can do whatever you like (look at books, play with toys etc) during this time but I need some quiet." He's usually good for about 20 minutes (provided I've given him lots of attention before hand) and then he starts asking "you ready to...
To quote my dh "Farts are funny. The smellier the funnier!" To top it off my dog has room clearing farts all the time. It actually feels like my nose is burning... DH and DS think its hilarious.
Quote: Originally Posted by srs : We try to talk through it. Not always the easiest, I know, especially when it is an unreasonable request, like standing outside at noon pointing at the sky repeating "yellow moon? yellow moon? Mommy, yellow moon?" with ever increasing anxiety. That reminds me of when we watched the Santa parade recently. A co-worker of mine brought her 2 yr old and when there was a pause in the parade she kept asking "More?...
Yeah whining drives me absolutely crazy. When my son was finally able to communicate clearly whenever he started to whine I would make sure he was listening and looking at me then say: "I'm sorry, I don't understand you b/c you're whining. Can you ask me in your normal voice?" Usually always works. I really try to explain to him that I don't respond to whining, rudeness or demands. When he repeats his request without whining and with a please I always try to...