or Connect

Posts by Shera971

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama I'm veering way off topic, so I'll just start lurking. I do believe there is a prevailing attitude that more is always better, and I don't like it. Leaping off into tangent land - I actually believe the opposite. Most people I know actively try to minimize the amount of stuff they have. Sure there are a few people that have a playroom filled with toys for each child (!!) but most I know are actively...
Quote: Originally Posted by clicksab So I can't help but wonder if some of this is just all about class. The whole idea of "must have lots so we are better" vs "must have less so we are better" just doesn't apply to plenty of people out there. Some of us just want more because we actually need more. Very valid point. Those of us who are actually able to choose which "team" we're on, are in a priviledged group and would do well to remember it! ...
Quote: Originally Posted by North_Of_60 A soccer ball is about as opened ended as a toy can get. I think it's YOUR ideas that are getting in the way of letting your son enjoy it for what it is. It's a ball. They didn't sign him up for little league or anything. They gave him a ball. I agree with North of 60. I can't really see an anything bad about gifting a boy who loves balls, with a ball.
I don't have anything to add at the moment because I would like to digest what I've read first. Very interesting thread! TBH, I kind of dread holiday time on MDC b/c someone is always complaining about something. I would just like to say that the post below has got me thinking the most. Why is it that there are two distinct camps: "must have lots so we are better" and the "must have less so we are better". Hmm, lots to think about! Great...
My MIL uses it all the time on DS and he thinks its hilarious. Its a big joke between them (Ie, "don't you dare give me hug, I hate them!" and of course DS flies to her for hugs). I actually have caught myself doing it sometimes too. I agree with RunnerMommy that as long as both participants know its a game, its fine.
I used to do this all the time but haven't done it in... gosh maybe 2 years? (DS is 4 now). I would normally put the toy away for the day (unless he super duper promised not to do it again, ie I caved ) There was only one toy that we put away for good because he wouldn't stop terrorizing the dog with it. The timeouts didn't work with that toy and I think it went away for about 6 months before we brought it out again.
I like ollyoxenfree's ideas as well. Sometimes when I ask DS (also 4) to do something that I think is simple, he'll look at me and say "All by myself?" It can be overwhelming for a young child to accomplish tasks that seem simple to us just for the fact that they are learning to do so many new things all the time.
Yes, I agree with the other posters that you need to need to "get over it". I love the quote that "gifting is as much for the giver as for the recipient" And I'd like to add another vote for the lego. It is a wonderful, creative, long lasting toy. In fact my in-laws still have a huge basket of it from when DH was a kid. The legos are over 30 years old and still going strong! And I would like to gently suggest that the OP looks at the toy and the value of it before...
Quote: Originally Posted by dbsam We were planning on the non-colored since my kids don't like to use play dough, paints, etc once the colors mix. A total tangent but I LOVE your kids! My guy will mix everything together and I just cringe on the inside. When we first got play-doh I painstakiningly tried to seperate all the colours after he played. I finally had to give up. In regards to moonsand I would agree that for us its more of an...
tankgirl73 Thanks for your thoughtful post (great name btw! love that movie) However, I do disagree with you that Remembrance Day has become meaningless and that it is forgotten for the rest of the year for everyone. For me, its different. As I said in my earlier post, both my mother and father were greatly affected by WWII and growing up, their stories were weaved into my life. They didn't talk about it ad nauseum but it did come up in our daily lives. Just little...