or Connect

Posts by Shera971

Quote: Originally Posted by Comtessa However, I also don't believe that participation in war is ever right Ok, I feel like I'm opening up a whole can of worms here but I would like to say that if it wasn't for the participation of the Allies (specifically Canada) in the Second World war both my mother's and father's family would have died under the German occupation of their country. Most likely a horrible slow death of starvation. It is my...
My son is in JK so his school had a Remembrance Day ceremony. I was off today from work so I caught the coverage on CBC. I did get a poppy for myself and my son and explained to him the meaning. He's only 4 so I don't think he quite gets it yet. I did tell him the story of his oma who was seperated from her family for a year b/c the country she was living in was taken over by "bad guys" and that our soldiers (Canadian) came and kicked all the bad guys out. I think...
Quote: Originally Posted by berry987 I have three sons (4, 3, 9 mo) and hear stuff all the time about "that's for girls" or "girls don't like that kind of thing." I think it's normal at that age to make distinctions and try to notice differences. I just say, "I'm a girl and I like those too" or "I'm a girl, do I only wear pink?" I do this as well. I also am always careful to use the words police officer instead of policeman, firefighter...
Quote: Originally Posted by Thisbirdwillfly Lastly, you are not undermining your DH's authority, you are protecting your DH from continuing to make the same mistake with his kid over and over and over again. If she is stopping her DH's behaviour in front of her son, she is undermining his authority. I believe that it is important that the parents need to discuss this WITHOUT the children present. Otherwise the child might come to believe that...
I can see where both you and your husband are coming from. In my opinion, if a child is asked to come to the dinner table, they come. I don't think its asking too much of a child to do this. However, you can set your son up for success with the great ideas posted here about giving warnings. Nobody wants to be interupted while doing something fun (like posting on the internet ) to go do something 'less' fun. I always give my son warnings when we are about to change...
I believe that you can't spoil a baby. But I believe that a parent's AP responses to their child need to be changed to accomodate the child as he/she grows and enters other stages in life. A small infant has many NEEDS that a parent should respond to but as a child grows older, WANTS come into the picture as well. When my son was a baby, I fed him whenever he was hungry but now that he is 4 he should able to wait for his cookie for a few minutes while I finish up with...
Depending on the sickness, yes a sick dog can smell worse. Can you tell where the smell is coming from? If a dog's ears get infected the smell can be horrid. I'm sure there are other things that can make a dog smell bad. I hope everything went ok today!
In the winter time I insist that DS wears clothes in the house because we keep the house pretty cold. However, in the summer the only thing he has to wear is his underwear. I really don't like the idea of his butt on the furniture and carpet... he's just learning to wipe so yeah. If we have guest come over then yes, he needs to put clothes on. If he was 2 or younger I wouldn't mind but he's 4 now and I think that's old enough to understand that you don't run around...
Wow, lots of great ideas! We had another monster talk last night and I brought up the fact that our dog would protect him. In the past our dog has killed a lot of animals like squirrels, birds, skunks etc so I told DS that doggie thinks monsters are tasty like squirrels. That seemed to work quite well.
Thanks for everyone's replys The next night he seemed fine - at least I didn't traumatize him! I really like what one PP suggested of tying in the monsters to the real feeling of being scared. Oh and making it a silly game also sounds like it might work. Next time I'll give it a try!