or Connect

Posts by Shera971

I did the stupidest thing tonight. I was reading bedtime stories to DS (who is 4) and picked up the book he got from the school library. It looked like a story for older kids but I've read all sorts of different stuff to him before so I didn't think twice. Anyway, the book had the ghost story "The Golden Arm". I don't know if any of you are familiar with it, but basically its about some one coming back from the dead looking for said arm saying "Where's my golden arm"...
Quote: Originally Posted by limabean I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I don't think mamazee was necessarily talking literally about the OP's last name. Pretending my last name is Jones, I consider my DH to be one of "the Jones guys" even though he didn't take my last name when we married. I think the point was just that marriage makes a person part of their spouse's family (at least in some people's opinion -- this thread has shown that not...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee I think the way it was worded, "The Smith girls" (can't remember the last name), is where the problem is. Because, of course, she IS a Smith (or whatever the last name is) girl now. Hmmm, I don't get that. Actually I don't understand the whole taking the guys name thing. I am me with a perfectly good name that I was born with and don't have any interest in taking another one. I don't really see the OP as a...
Normally I would agree with what MusicianDad posted about siblings not being invited but your situation seems to be a bit unique. If all the kids get together on a regular basis then I think it would be assumed that all the kids would be invited. If 8, 6, 4 and 2year olds normally play together then I can't really see a nice way of saying "you can't come".
Quote: Originally Posted by Heavenly Yes, and that is my opinion. If support only is what is wanted then put it in the title, otherwise don't be surprised if people question restraining a young child while she (admittedly by the OP) cries and screams. I wasn't questioning the fact that you disagreed rather how it was how it was said. Poiyt agreed with your stance as well but I thought her post was constructive and had some great points. Your...
Quote: Originally Posted by Heavenly If I am picturing this right you are holding her completely still while she screams and freaks out? What website am I on again? I don't think this comment is very helpful to the OP. She was asking for opinions and help, not judgement.
I think I read some where that around this age is when kids are learning soooo many new things, they really don't want to "waste time" napping. I can totally see that! When I've got a new book/catching up with an old friend/a great movie is on tv, who wants to sleep (even though I do need to!) I think a little encouragement at this age is the most helpful thing you can do. IMO, a child under 2 still needs to nap - for the health of her brain and body.
My DS who is 4 just started kindergarten this September. When we met the teacher she said that the school board mandated "no homework" for JK or SK but she did choose to send homework one day a week. So far we've had one: it was a little song about traffic lights and he had to colour a picture appropriately (ie green for go). Other than that, he brings home his "poetry book" on weekends that have songs and rhymes that are done in class. The teacher has asked us to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leatherette His grandmother lived in Holland during the Nazi occupation. He has not had any nightmares. He has nightmares when he watches Disney movies... Funny, both my parents grew up in Holland during the occupation and when I was a child my nightmares didn't have boogeymen or ghosts... it was nazis. I guess with the history of my family I feel a real concrete connection to the book and I want my son to read...
Quote: Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree 2. Keep the extremities warm - hats, mittens, warm socks and waterproof boots. These mittens are great for toddlers because they have a longer bit for the wrist and sleeve. Snow is less likely to get inside and the kids are less likely to shake them off/lose them. Oh. My. Goodness. I totally wish I would have had these when DS was toddling... I might even see if I can get some in his size now (he's 4)....