or Connect

Posts by Shera971

Quote: Originally Posted by eepster I think this is a large part of the problem with reading it too young. It should be hard and sad and upsetting, and when introduced too young it needs to be softened in order to be processed. It's not even that the book itself is horribly upsetting. The book is a very sweet simple diary of a very typical girl, though unable to leave their hiding space, nothing horrific happens during the story. The true...
I wouldn't be worried about it. My DS (who is 4) does this as well and as long as he isn't so rough he's going to break the toy I just ignore it. I definitely wouldn't discourage it because iI believe ts just another type of emotion (perhaps anger?) that he is exploring safely through play.
Quote: Originally Posted by StrawberryFields "Guess what?" "Chicken Butt!!" "And do you know why? Chicken thigh!" No, we don't really use butt alot, we use bum. I don't really know why but both terms seem fine to me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife well, besides the 2 yo, my kids can and do choose what they want to wear (including picking out what I buy). Actually, come to think about it, the 2 yo does insist on wearing certain things, like a specific horse sweater over and over again even when it's dirty (and hot outside). There in lies the rub... My DS could care less what he wears. Sometimes I can convince him to pick something out of the...
Hmm, I always associated skull and cross bones with death. As in pirates (the real ones from the past and present) and signs on poison. Because of that I would never choose to buy clothing with skulls on it for DS. I guess I don't understand why you would want to put a symbol of death on a child. But when he is older and that's what he chooses to wear, I wouldn't stop him.
As a kid I was never allowed to play with toy guns (water or otherwise). I asked my dad once why and he explained very clearly. Both my parents grew up during WWII in Europe and their country was occupied by the Germans for many years. As a young boy my father saw many people get executed by guns... everywhere. He abhorred guns and wouldn't allow any sort of play. In our house now we don't allow guns. However if my son takes his fingers and makes a shooter I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leta And, frankly, I don't want a seven year old running my house for me. A human always trumps my dog no matter what the age. I have a large dog. When we go for a walk if a person is coming, the dog goes off the sidewalk and waits in a sit stay until the person passes. When my DS has friends over, the dog gets locked up. While he's friendly, he is still a dog and interpets situations as such. His natural...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades We rarely do dinner, but MIL usually does when we're there. She often has us clear the table & load the dishwasher before dessert. It helps get cleaned up, but also it allows the kids time to play for a few minutes. That way, dinner and dessert aren't so closely linked. Ooo, I like this idea too!
Maybe your could incorporate a healthy dessert. With us dessert is usually yogurt or fruit. My thinking is does it really matter if he has a couple more bites of potato or has the melon later on? And so far we have kept the before bed snack. My DS who is 4 has always been a big eater so even if he had a big dinner, he's still hungry just before bed. Its usually veggies, fruit, cheese and crackers.
My DS is not obssessed with candy but he certainly does enjoy it. So if I happen to have any in the house and he knows about it, he asks for it. What I've taken to doing is saying he can have something special for dessert after dinner. Then I will take the usual dessert (yogurt or fruit usually) and place one or two small candies on top. Literally like one or two jelly beans, or two chocolate chips. He thinks its the cats a@@ and seems completely satisfied. Maybe...